Manual Push Reel Mowers: anyone still using

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody out there using manual walk behind reel mowers anymore?

If not, then gas power reel mowers?

No major info need, just curious about what's still in use or not.
  2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my C125 Locke reel and love it, just sold my Tru Cut 27" reel.
  3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I find it hard to not mess-around with one whenever I see them for sale in the few stores that carry them. There is nothing quite like the sound of precision cutting reels without an engine running.
  4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an older one that I used to mow a neighbor's lawn before my parents let me use a 21". I must have been about 7 or 8 then and its still around today, although I haven't used it in probably over 10 years
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I pick them up at junk stores whenever I see them usually for 25-35 bucks we use them for a very steep but small hill, and family members with small lawns. Monthly accounts/condos with tiny lawns that you have to go through the house to the back yard.

A few years ago I saw one that was geared and the blades spun much faster than most. I wanted to demo the unit but the dealer was an a$$ and wouldn't consider it and had a no return policy. Needless to say not my regular shop. The machine was 250-280 something like that. I wasn't about to drop that much on an experiment. Have never seen another one.
  6. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

Spent some time with one of them as a kid. I still remember the clack clack clack as the blades started to speed up and the jammed wrists if a stick kicked up and jammed in the blades. Sold it last year at a farm sale and a guy gave $65 dollars for it. It did look old as the hills and I think he bought it as an "antique" but I don't know how old it actually was. I kind of miss it.
  7. lawngirly

lawngirly LawnSite Member

I believe the Amish use them.
  8. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

I saw a pretty neat looking set-up in a recent Turf magazine. A company had came up with a reel mower type rig that you hooked up to and pulled with either a lawn tractor or ATV. It was pretty cool looking and I think it went up to about 48" width of cut......