manual sod cutter.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Jan 10, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

2. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

They work great!! (and no I'm not a dealer) I rent one for $10 a day when I need it. Not many people seem to use it. They always make fun of me at the rental place and tell me that the mule doesn't come with it. I use them for cutting out sod for new flower beds. You could cut out a bed 4'x20' in about 10 minutes no problem.

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I bought two of those at a sale for $10 each. I have never even used them yet.

4. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I've rented them a few times. If the ground is too dry you kick and push your self to death on em. I've thought about buying myself. But the last one i rented just about convinced me to just rent a power one. I will for anything very big.Dave

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We've had one of these for years, wouldn't be without it. So handy for small areas. The power sod cutters are heavy and a hassle to haul around. We use our power ones, when the job is big enough to justify it, but many times we find the manual one to be much faster and more convenient. They last for years.

One hint though, make sure the blade is sharp and polished. When they are brand new, with paint on them, they don't work well at all. Polish them and it makes all the difference in the world.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping