1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Manual Sprinklers?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ojtwelve, May 17, 2007.

1. ojtwelve

ojtwelve LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a manual sprinkler for my home, that is those sprinklers where you hook up to your hose and you have to move it around your yard to water. Need to know what type to buy and brand?

I do not have the money to install an automatic sprinkler system in my yard. I noticed that there are numerous types of manual sprinklers and it is too much for me to decide on. Don't want to waste $$ buying one that does not work well. Need opinions please.

2. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

space these every 30'

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't they used to tout the Hosey-Cow on Letterman's show?
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It will depend on how your yard is set up. If it doesn't have a bunch of small angular areas probably an oscillating sprinkler will do the job. If you have a lot of small angles you might want to get a 1/2" impact sprinkler on a stand. Brand is dependent on price you want to pay and what is available in your area.
  5. I am assuming that this is for grass.

Small yard or big yard? Square or round?

Stay away from anything that says "water saving device"

For anything somewhat square and large work with either an impact or rotor as those are designed to water large areas and can be used to water up to 30 ft depending on water pressure. These also can be daisy chained up to a point. $ 15 to $30 depending if plastic or brass.

For smaller yards, then the type that spin in a circle, not the type that go back and forth are better Same kind of price range as above.

Then for watering the edges, I like the implements that are shaped somewhat like a triangle. Puts out lots of concentrated water with out smashing the grass blade down.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think he is talking about a lawn tractor sprinkler.

7. ojtwelve

ojtwelve LawnSite Member

Thanks for your responses. My yard is square/rectangular shaped? Just a regular sized homeowners yard. I live in a housing community in NC.
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic