manual transmission or auto transmission

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mower&more1986, Sep 16, 2007.

?

Which one do you prefer manual transmission or auto transmission?

1. manual transmission

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. auto transmission

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

which one do you guys or gals Prefer. I prefer manual trans with my diesel because if find it fun and does great for pulling my trailer

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thats a two sided question...i prefer manual when towing because i can pick the gear i need to be in and not reley on the truck...however day to day driving in traffic i much prefer an automatic because your leg doesnt get tired...plus its easier to eat food and drive with an auto

3. mower&more1986

true i keeps me form being on the cell phone unless i get the handsfree device
    as for traffic it just takes time to build up that left leg.
    and lol amazing i can find way to eat and shift

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

With the Allisons and the Torqueshifts out there now, automatic transmissions are getting as strong or stronger than manuals.

Go out to your local heavy truck dealership and look at their dump trucks. I'm amazed at how many class 8 and 9 models have automatic transmissions.

5. mower&more1986

well I have my class A CDL with Air brakes the semi i took my test in had a 13 speed
    I wish my truck had a few more speeds lol

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I was a fan of auto untill i learned how to drive a stick. Not only are clutchs cheaper than a rebuilt tranny, but they usually last longer too.

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i prefer an automatic for towing, and snowplowing. i do however like to drive my friends 5 speed manual GMC canyon, i find it a little fun when you don't need to tow anything. one thing i'm still working on is taking off on a hill from a red light, the cars behind me get so close i think i'm gonna hit them when i let go of the brake before i can get moving.

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you think thats rough when i was first learning to drive big truck i was pulling a backhoe with a 10wheeler pete and had to stop at the steepest hill in town...those of you that know kennett square PA you know what i'm talking about...and of course people in cars dont care how big a truck you are they just want to get around you...long story short i stalled the thing in the middle of the intersection...o well, learning experiece

9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I like an auto in my one ton. I wouldn't have an auto in a big truck, tho. The auto 5 spd in my pickup downshifts downhill, holds the gear, not perfect but good enough that I don't miss my left knee hurting over it. In a big truck, tho, every truck i've tried with an automatic (or worse - an auto-shifted-manual!) has really p1553d me off. Either not enough gears and / or just won't shift when you want/expect/need it to shift. Hate 'em. In a dump, give me an 8 speed + lo + lo lo and I will be happy.

10. mower&more1986

after my experience with dodge auto transmission never again.
    now i wont say i dont like auto transmission it just my trust in them is hurting.