Manual Transmissions?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Sep 24, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys use Manual Transmissions for your mowing crew trucks? I have a couple of accounts that a doing a a couple of busy roads where I have to back in to accounts, do you think this will be a problem with having to push the clutch down and shifting gears while in heavy traffic areas? I always have a another guy with me on those days so he can get out and block off traffic so I can back into the property. But do you think it is worth it have a manual truck?

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

A manual is good in the sense that you can control your gear for towing uphill and controling your downhill speed, they probably breakdown less than the auto ones do. As long as you are confortable using the manual i can't see where it would pose a negative effect. And here is a sudgestion for backing into the props, there is one that i do where the driveway is right next to an art gallery parking lot, so i drive in the customers drive, and turn around in the art gallery and pull back into the customers driveway, ready to drive right out. However when there are a lot of cars in the gallery lot, i disconnect the trailer(i have a wheeled jack on it) and swing it around, it actualy is quicker than trying to back in to this driveway, as it is on a busy street.

hope this helps

3. qualitylawnmanagement

this is one of my property's. I use to be able to pull down the long straight away and turn around but since I got an 18ft trailer now I can't now. So I have to come down Shawnee rd and come to a complete stop and let my helper out to block traffic and then pull up and then reverse into the long back drive way on the left. I can park on the other drive cause the owner of the condo said I doesn't want to have to wait for me to leave for him to go some where.

lawn.JPG

4. qualitylawnmanagement

this is the truck I really like but it is an manual.

truck 1111111.jpg

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If you can drive a manual, I don't see what the big deal is. WHy wouldn't you be able to back it up?????:confused:

6. qualitylawnmanagement

I can dirve a manual and I can back up my trailer. But what I am saying is having to have your foot on the clutch and brake then put it in gear and and then press on the gas hope you don't have to go forward again where there is always somebody trying to sneak threw while backing into a drive.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Much more difficult trying to control speed with a manual, you cant just tap the brake you gotta slip the clutch and brake. Lots of work while backing but not impossible by any means. I wouldnt buy a gasser that is manual if I were going to be towing a large trailer, but on a diesel I would buy in a heartbeat. Most diesels you can pop the clutch at a dead stop in first or second and not stall them because of the torque, much easier to drive. If it is in the truck you want though, go for it.

"If da ride is fly, you must buy"

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

it takes practice but can drive my stick truck just as good and as fast as an auto

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Like i said if you can drive a stick it shouldn't be a big deal.

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Ya, i don't see what the big deal is. I would rather have a stick anyways.