1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Manual Transmissions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Jun 7, 2004.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I always liked backing up a trailer better with a stick. Now if the truck will be driven by you only, a stick is no problem. If employees are gonna drive it, you will go thru some clutches. And if you'll be driving in a lot of traffic a stick is just a PITA.

2. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have a Dodge 01 w Ho Cummins and six speed tranny. I have a Bri-Mar 18', 12000 GVW trailer.. I pull compact tractors all the time. Some are at the 10,000 mark which legally puts me over.. Luckily, this one machine is only pulled here and there a few miles at a time.. I wouldn't even try an automatic.. Anyone familiar with Bigelow Hollow in Ct, would undertand.. Pretty severe pull in the hollow..

3. WINGNUT

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

It just doesn't seem like a truck to me unless it has a clutch.....

4. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I had a Mazda b4000 with a stick, 4.0 liter and it pulled a 16 foot tandem axle with two exmark 60" mowers on it. It was rough on hills but I made it. I now drive a jeep with the 5.2 liter in it and automatic. It is a whole lot nicer but I fear the transmission in it? :cool:

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer the manual tranny myself but I just bought a truck with an auto in it and Im gonna add coolers to it to hopefully add to the life of it. I think that on the auto tranny you need to add an extra cooler and service the fluid every year to get them top hold up in a 1/2 ton pick up. If you plan to push snow I would not get a manual tranny