Manual Transmissions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Jun 7, 2004.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I always liked backing up a trailer better with a stick. Now if the truck will be driven by you only, a stick is no problem. If employees are gonna drive it, you will go thru some clutches. And if you'll be driving in a lot of traffic a stick is just a PITA.
  2. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have a Dodge 01 w Ho Cummins and six speed tranny. I have a Bri-Mar 18', 12000 GVW trailer.. I pull compact tractors all the time. Some are at the 10,000 mark which legally puts me over.. Luckily, this one machine is only pulled here and there a few miles at a time.. I wouldn't even try an automatic.. Anyone familiar with Bigelow Hollow in Ct, would undertand.. Pretty severe pull in the hollow..

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

It just doesn't seem like a truck to me unless it has a clutch.....
  4. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I had a Mazda b4000 with a stick, 4.0 liter and it pulled a 16 foot tandem axle with two exmark 60" mowers on it. It was rough on hills but I made it. I now drive a jeep with the 5.2 liter in it and automatic. It is a whole lot nicer but I fear the transmission in it? :cool:
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer the manual tranny myself but I just bought a truck with an auto in it and Im gonna add coolers to it to hopefully add to the life of it. I think that on the auto tranny you need to add an extra cooler and service the fluid every year to get them top hold up in a 1/2 ton pick up. If you plan to push snow I would not get a manual tranny