1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Manual Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lil_cote_93, May 9, 2008.

1. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

Im about to buy a Manual V 6 1999 F 150, Reg cab, long box. 2 wd.
    Would this be enough to tow around a 12 foot trailer no prob?
    Also what would manual be like in the lawn industry?
    Any help would be great.
  2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

IT might struggle a little bit but temporary it should hold up, but i would be looking for a V8 or a diesel shortly
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what are you putting on that trailer? it should be fine ive seen rangers and other small trucks pull bigger. as for the manual make sure your parking brake is good and will hold on a hill because you dont want to be chasing your truck
  4. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

i've got a 2002 f150 v6 5spd. It's not what i would get to pull a trailer with all the time. You're guaranteed to burn out a clutch if you pull all the time with it. Taking off in first from a stop is hard on the truck. That's if it's not on an incline. The brakes stop fine. My truck starts to bog down with an empty 16' dual axle trailer. That's before I even put anything on it.

The v6 just ain't enough. Truck would be better used to pick up lumber or a few bags of concrete at a hardware store than pull a trailer full time.

Go v8 from experience.

Good Luck
  5. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

I am using a 1993 S-10 5 speed to tow mine 5x10 w/ Landscape box on front ZTR and a walker plus the rack and trimmers edger That is pretty sluggish but it is getting the job done. So to answer the F-150 should have no prob.
  6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

It surprised me when I bought my F150 and wanted to get another standard transmission, but the Ford dealer talked me out of it by predicting that I'd surely have bad luck with it I wanted to tow. He said that automatic transmission is far better for towing. So that's what I did and have yet to encounter a problem. The extra cost was minor, and since the truck had to be factory ordered anyway, it didn't seem to me that the salesman had anything to gain by telling me what he did. Maybe you can get some further advice by checking a pick-up truck forum. I'm suspect this one you are using is not the right place for good advice on this question. By the way, my previous truck was a standard-shift, 6-cylinder Nissan, and I never had a clutch problem towing with that one. And before that it was a Chevy Suburban with a standard transmission with which I towed an Argosy trailer I lived in, and there never any clutch problems with that one either even though I must have towed for more than 30,000 miles. So I really had my mind made up favoring a standard transmission, but I swung around when I bought the Ford, and I'm glad I did.
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

hes on crack
  8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, as I tried to explain, I had a very long, favorable experience towing with a standard transmission, but at the time I bought the F150, he convinced me to switch to the auto. He showed me statistics which I no longer have, but they weighed in favor of the auto. I guess there are still differences of opinion. I just did a search and apparently there are strong proponents on each side. As an example,

But for this particular case, I doubt if the guy will be burning out a clutch if it's just a light trailer carrying a ZTR, a walk behind and a few light hand-held tools. But if he's going to be filling the trailer with tons of stone, he might run into trouble.
  9. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

THese guys from that link seem to love manual for towing...
    But i mean its different in the industry of cutting lawns...
    I was thinking V 6 because of gas prices here are getting ridiculous.
    Any more info is greatly appreciated thanks.!

You need to read the owners manual on that truck. It will tell you how much the truck can tow based upon how the truck is configured, engine size, suspension type, transmission type, etc. Be warned the basic F150's have extremely limited payloads - dump inserts are not even a consideration. Opinions are just that read the manual & get the facts.:walking: