Manufacturers tightening the belt on warranty, good FYI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tallimeca, Mar 8, 2008.

1. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Just throwing this out there to you guys. I recieved 2 emails in the past week from a couple big name manufacturers stating in some cases, they may start requesting picturers of equipment in question because of the amount of warranties that have been paid on misused, abused and neglected equipment. Some manufacturers already ask for this, but it seems more and more will be.

This pertains to a couple threads i've been involved in about cleaning off your equipment and servicing it. Many guys basically said F-them and if I paid for the machine and the warranty, then they're fixing it. That may not be the case.

Just giving you a heads up. At least be smart enough to clean the machine up a bit before it goes in for warranty work.

Take it for what it's worth. Might save you some aggrivation and down time.:)
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

and they should, could we warranty plants that were neglected i do not think so if you spent money on a machine would it make sense to maintenane it? we do but i see a lot of companies that do not care so now it will cause my machine to be more expensive next time it buy one, good for the manfgs
  3. prowalker

prowalker LawnSite Member

heres the low down guys, warranty is stated in your owners manual it reads that the unit is covered for x period of time 1-2-3 years for defects in product or workmanship . It doesnt state that its free for that period of time. all parts have a life span some longer than others . normal use or abuse is not covered,like washing unit and getting water in bearing,lack of proper greasing,cutting 1,2,3,+ tall grass that is abuse. the no. 1 question is why did the part fail and that is proper diagnosing of failed part. most manufactures do not have a problem paying for warranties that are their or a conpontent manufactures fault. your dealer needs to have a person in the shop who can look at a machine,or part and tell why it failed,not just a guy who replaces a part. most cutters look at the brand their buying or price when you should be looking for service and parts support and some one who"s trying their best to help. it cost money to pay for these services and beating dealers down on price just gets you normally bad service or parts support.