manure as a topper for reseeding ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hollywoodjoe, Feb 16, 2007.

1. hollywoodjoe

hollywoodjoe LawnSite Member

Is there a cheaper alternative?

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Probably everything. The high N content of manure will burn your new grass as it pops out of the seed. o I would do anything but manure.

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay far away from pure manure. It will burn your grass as stated above. I live on a horse farm and we won't spread the fresh stuff in the fields.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Then why do they make manure spreaders?

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

To spread manure in dormant fields so they can add N to the soil. Not when you have a new crop.

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Try a well decomposed compost or an organic (dark, lightweight) soil for topdressing.

7. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

If the manure is old (6+ months) It should be ok, Definitly not fresh though.

8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

They make manure spreaders for Farmers...not lawns...How are you going to explain to your customer that you are spreading cow dung on a lawn their kids play on...Do yourself a favor and use quality compost or a top dressing suited to what you want to do. Top Dressing on Quality turf is not the same as spreading manure on a pasture of field.

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I seen a few people use manure and there jobs turned out crappy within a few months of installing the manure weeds were everywhere, I have never used it but my father used to use it in his mushroom farms

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The Manure has to be aged min 1 year...if not 2 years..anything less is just full of seeds and way too high In "N".
    But yes I have used it for top dressing on lawns (large propertys) with a very small spreader and a Atv...Worked great