Many are disappearing...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burns60, Nov 14, 2005.

1. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

The MOW JOE thread actually prompted me to start this. This thread actually is about a class a little lower than the MOW JOES, and I mean no disrespect to anyone trying to make a buck in this business.

I have noticed a sharp decline in the number of lawn mowers being towed in the back of cars and pickups and trailers in this area. I attribute this to several possibilities. This late in the season most of the equipment that I once saw in service is not running anymore. The quality of work produced by this equipment finally caught up with the operator. Or, maybe these operators just didn't have the "stick to it" work ethic that it takes to make a run of the lawn business. I see no increase in my business as a result of this, but I didn't see any decrease in it early in the spring when these guys were out there. I think we traveled in "different circles." I used to see 10 or 12 of these operations around here everyday, but now they just aren't there. My town is not large........maybe 40,000....Where did they go? Who is mowing this grass now? Has anyone else noticed this?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

It happens every yr. next spring a fresh crop will be running around to take there place

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

ive noticed a couple disappear, too.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As the season starts to wind down and the grass slows down, many positions at Walmart and Jiffy Lube start to get filled.........See where this is going?

5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

happens here to its late spring at the moment 3 weeks ago i was seeing the same guys i saw during winter now i see guys i have never seen before at my first job this morn ther is a guy next door and im wondering where his truck and trailer are then i see him get his mower out of a car. each to there i guess

6. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

maybe some of those guys did a good job and have been able to upgrade their equipment throughout the year and now you do not recognize them. Just a thought.

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Doubtful, they'll be back, or some variation.

8. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Good point, and I wish them the best. One thing I have learned in the past 3 years is that there is plenty of grass. (and leaves)

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's the truth and every spring a higher percentage of prospects go that route never to return.

As for why you see them dissappearing this time of year... well a great big percentage of them have already been put out of business for the year by their cheapskate customers....

Most of them are Johnny on call setups anyways and those who have not already stopped calling have just released them until spring. The ol "I'll call you if it needs it again before winter sets in" deal.

Well, they can have all those types of customers they want.
    Just leave to good ones alone for god's sake.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

We have tons of those around here. One or two graduated this year to commercial equipment. One even seems to have caught on to getting a uniform and doing more than just mow and blow with dull blades. Good for him.

The rest either had craftsman issues, finally figured out that gross does not equal profit, or got on with a "steady job" for the winter.

These types of operators never effect the amount of business I have other than occasionally when one of their customers decides to graduate up to reliable service and decides to accept my prices.

We are in EOW cutting season. I love that time of year. $500 hedge trimming job today. 8:30 start 11:45 finish 2 on the crew 6.5 man hours. $77 per man hour. I'll take it. 2 more smaller trimming jobs and call it a day.

Tomorrow a $2250 trimming job. full day for 3 guys. $93 per hour (estimated). On top of the fact that we are on 12 month equal billing on all maintenance accounts. I love winter in Florida.