map quest has aerial photos

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Nov 15, 2001.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't used map quest in awhile and much to my suprise they have added air photos. You can see the difference in green from the air on lawns that are fertilized. I checked the lawns on my route and found my truck parked at mother-in-laws house. cool!
    I don't have prop. big enough to see stripes from the air but I bet Eric does. I am in Baltimore Md area and I'm not sure how far the aerial photo coverage goes check it out
  2. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

If a simple little company like Mapquest has aerial photos (I've seen them a couple weeks ago) of the entire country and has the facilities to put them up on the internet for all of the general public to see and it's no big deal and they are readily available...

I wonder what kind of photos the government has of places like....Afghanistan... or whatever they happen to "want" to see.

Amazing stuff.
  3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly!!! although i'm sure [or should i say HOPE] the nsa has edited these photos for national security content. since gps is available at a very low cost it wouldn't take much money to develope a targeting system. I think the issue is delivery . it is easier to drop it off in your local mailbox and let the post office deliver it!!
  4. Pretty cool, too bad they aren't live pictures, we could check on our crews.
    Mine won't zoom enough for my tastes, would like to see the condition of my rental house.
  5. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to bet that if you wanted to pay some $$ for the photo's (unlike mapquest which gives them out to everyone on the internet for free), then you could probably get your rental properties on a picture with enough zoom to be able to see what is going on.

To the same point we always make on here about how homeowner equipment is "ok", but commercial equipment is always so much sturdier and better.......

If mapquest is the "homeowner" line, then what does Nasa/Government have for their use as "commercial" grade? Hehehe
  6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

About a year or 2 ago I think I remember reading that the Department of Defense changed the rules on how accurate the GPS systems were allowed to be for Joe Citizen's use, making them finally useful. And at the same time freed up use of these types of pictures for regular use. But only to a certain degree of zoom. They can read license plates, tell what brand of cigarette one is smoking etc. with the DOD Satellites.
  7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

That stinks!

I have an account way out in the country and they have a pic of it but all the lawns I do in three citys do not have pics.:mad:
  8. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

AlrightI'm stupid. I cant find where on the site the aerial photos are. Help please.
  9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Type in an address and get the map. On top of the map is a tab that reads 'aerial photo'. ;)

It's kinda neat, but I really can't make anything out. Needs more zoom. :)
  10. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

That's pretty cool. I just looked at the WTC from over head. You can really see the area that is destroyed.