mapp gas is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I think it was Mike G. that recommended MAPP gas for heat-shrink on the Ace connector.

That stuff is way too hot and catches lawns on fire. I tried backing off from the direct flame to keep the tube from getting burnt, but that only increases the area exposed to the heat up to the insulation, and still burns everything.

I was in pinestraw, and to avoid a forest fire, I hung the connections up in the air while heating them. It was at that moment I felt like I was toasting marshmallows. You know how some people let their marshmallows catch on fire and then say they like them that way?

Then I remembered the Pete story about the marshmallows.

Anyways, I'm keeping the MAPP gas in the garage for getting seized nuts off of stuff.

I have a heat gun, which is perfect temp. for heat-shrink, but I wanted something faster to set up and portable.
  2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Of course MAPP gas is insane for that application. It burns hotter then propane.

I have used butane mini-torches when caught without a heat gun, but find them a pain in the arse.

The electric heat gun is def. the way to go with the ACE Connector and generally any 3M shrink tube material.

Have a great day.
  3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

James, what's wrong with those mini butane torches? Do they blow out easy like cig lighters?

No biggie. I'm working on a hurricane plan at the moment. As you can see, I am procrastinating. Who really feels like preparing for a hurricane. Besides, the more I plan, the more money I'll spend. It starts with canned food, and before long you are at Lowe's buying a honda generator.

All but one of the Hanna models are aimed at me. What do I do with our stupid cat if I leave? We already have two dogs and kids and stuff. Do I let the cat outside or do I lock it in the garage? If I lock it in the garage, I'll have to buy a litter box.

In Pennsylvania, whenever the threat of a blizzard came (almost weekly), everyone just ran to the grocery store and cleared out the milk. Nobody had an expensive "blizzard" kit full of batteries and tape.
  4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

I just find that flame is not the best way to shrink the tubes... it is too hot and you end up charring them too often. The electric heat gun is the way to go.

I hope you guys dont get hit by any hurricanes... I can't imagine what a drag that must be... just the worry alone has got to take its toll.

I have rather naiviely booked a trip to the Fla. Keys in two weeks for my wife and I!!! To a crazy expensive spa resort.... I hope things don't get too ugly down there... what a drag.
  5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

I always thought the G was seeing if we were crazy enough to use MAPP? It wasn't a joke?
  6. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I've had pretty good success with the small butane torches. The flame is adjustable, at least on the ones I have, and they also come with a "heat shroud" that allows even heating of all sides. I just can't see toting around an extension cord/s throughout a property to use an electric heat gun. Especially when that property might be several hundreds of feet from available power. I believe I would use MAPP gas before I would go through all the trouble of running extension cords.
  7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Butane perhaps Chris, like I said you have to be careful with flame. MAPP not a chance, it is just too hot a flame to be effective. \

What type of butane torch do you use? I have tried the "Solder-It" brand, but they are a pain to get just right and not very effective in the wind or cold.
  8. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I know MAPP is a HOT gas. But if you are using a cheap torch head that might be your problem. I have a turbo torch head, it makes it real easy to adjust your flame down to a small flame.

So James you heading the keys huh. I will be there for fantasy fest down in key west the 2nd week of Oct.
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

You can't beat those small torches that normally make creme brulee sugar crunchy on top. very portable, start right up. with heat guns you gotta plug in. they do work better, but not faster.
  10. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I'll have to check the truck tomorrow to see what brand it is, so I'll get back to you. I purchased mine through a distributor (which I won't name) but I saw the same equipment at home depot for half the price. Butane works great, but it does have it's disadvantages. However, the sacrifice is minimal (to me) over the advantage of having a portable, hand held mechanism that you can use anywhere. I've even got one in my kitchen cabinet that I use for candles, grill lighting, etc...