Mapping out our service areas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Apr 3, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

The areas our company services for maintenance are fairly complex for someone who doesn't know the area. And our new office manager is great at managing the office, but definitely doesn't know our area very well.

So I am trying to figure out a very simple way for her to quickly check and see if a customer is inside of our service area or not.

I was hoping there was some sort of program or online map service where I could basically draw a boundary line around areas on the map that we service. Then she could type in an address and very quickly be able to tell if the customer on the phone was inside of our service area or not.

Anyone know of such a program or website?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mapquest can do that for you...not only do they write out the directions from point A to point B, it includes a map with a heavy red line showing the route that is taken.

3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever tried hanging a large map with a string in the center, draw the circle for your radius if you go that route? low tech but that is probably how it was done before computers and Mapquest, Yahoo and Rand McNalley also has good maps.
    Good luck

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

perhaps you can limit it to by town only?? or try giving her a list of towns inwhich you cover the entire town and have her make your arrangements on those and simply have her take down the info on the questionable ones so you can get back to them or at least make the descion and have her call them back later.

i dont leave town which keeps my travel time and fuel to a "minimum" and still run a full schedual. it helps keep a much higher $/hr but it certainly seems your much bigger than a 100account business.

5. JimLewis

yah...that's not what I was asking for....

6. JimLewis

I have such a map. But that's a little too low tech. Aside from the fact that there isn't any more room on our walls here. And aside from the fact that it would make the office quite a bit less attractive, it's just too dang slow. She'd have to go over to the map, find the street name on the key out of a list of thousands of streets, and then find it on the map. For someone who doesn't know the area that would take 5 minutes or more with every phone call. I am not wanting to put people on hold for that long. And I don't want to have to call them back or waste that much time either. The time spent doing that each week would be a bigger problem than I have now - which is just a minor one.

7. JimLewis

Yah, that's what we're already doing. But we offer service for lawn care in about 7 different cities. And in several of them, we only service PART of the city. So knowing which parts is important. Calling them back later is what we do now too. But I'd prefer to just have a quick way to have her type in an address and some high-tech. map could just say yes or no. I know the technology is there. I am sure there's a program like this. But I don't know where.

8. MichaelMG

MichaelMG LawnSite Member

I don't know of any, but I would think the delivery service industry might have such a tool. Might want to search that industry.

Good Luck!
    Mike

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Could you possibly limit it to ZIP code? That wouldn't necessarily cover an entire city and you could just pound out a list of all the ZIP codes you cover for quick reference.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Pizza joint, or there's a "Simon's Delivers" here, grocery delivery.

Bugs the crap out of my wife though... there's a BIG white line about 2 blocks over that they won't cross.... :laugh: