mapping software (free or cheap)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Mar 28, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

looking for something i can put several addresses into it, and it will sort and put in order in the most efficient route. anyone?

thanks.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly what I am looking for. But then, I want to be able to do different routes, (groups of routes). Also, the ability for the program to automatically incorporate a certain address into the most feasible route....based on x amounts of stops per day (route). Q Xpress does this,..and Real Green does it for the low low price of about 3 grand.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would like that too. There are several route optimization tools out there but most seem expensive.

Qxpress seem like a pretty good deal but that solution is still like $1800.00

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought street atlas from staples. It seems to have some limitations but so far it seems like a decent program. I figured for 40 bucks it was worth a shot. We will be in the field Friday. So I dont have any feedback on how it works once it gets out of the office.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

My old version of Microsoft Street& Trips works for me. You can set up and save many routes (not sure how many) and then add or delete stops on reoccurring trips. You can print the list including a map or just follow it from your laptop screen which is what I do. Microsoft S&T also allows me to find address on the road because it is self contained and does not depend on the net.

I am told they have added a GPS feature to the program and the whole thing costs around $ 100. It works like the high priced navigation systems like On Star in a laptop. Circuit city has this program package and I want to buy the new Microsoft Streets & Trips just for fun.

Outlook 2000 Calendar in XP works for me as a scheduler now that I am part time. However I can seen that a company with multiply trucks would need a bigger scheduling program.

My system requires entering a new customer's name into 3 different program, which is a PITA. ( Bookkeeping, Mapping & Scheduling) But I save the expense of a High priced program that puts all these features together.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

hey, Ric? When you enter an address into the Microsoft Streets and Trips, will it automatically put it into the route that better suits it?

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Joe

No, you have to pick the route. It will put it in order in that route to best save miles and time.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I just bought the business solution from Cingluar. Ordered my phones and services today.

It is going to be sweet. In the last few months cigular has teamed up with a company and actually placed the software on their servers and I can operated it from my phones.

It is a dispatch system and a PM system.

9. I use Microsoft MapPoint. It has some features that Streets and Trips doesn't have, that I find valuable. It runs about $450.

10. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Creating a route at your desk is one thing, getting the driver to follow it can be another issue all together. I have a passive GPS system in the trucks. At the end of the day I can download the route they drove, do a playback and see the actual versus the plotted. Also records speed, stops and stop duration to as short as fifteen seconds. Lets you where your truck has been and if the mowing crew is picking up side jobs for beer money. Cost is anywhere from $200.00-$350.00 depending on how many buzzers and whistles you want. Being passive, the only cost is purchasing the unit. There is no monthly service fee for "pings". The included mapping software is decent, but if you live in an area with high growth, some streets may not be on the map and the playback shows them cutting across what used to be a farm field. I am very satisfied with this little toy.