Marbain style blades???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaylorLawn, Dec 18, 2002.

1. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the Marbain (I hope Im spelling correctly) style of blades??? Iwas checking out the SCAG website and found these....Apparently they are lighter than the normal factory blades, and made of some composite material or something??? Would these work well in a double bladed situation??? Not as much torque needed to get optimum balde RPM???

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Gravely also has these blades available, but I too don't know what they are.

3. TaylorLawn

If you go to the SCAG website and click on "advantage" you can get a description....still wary though.....

4. marbain is supposed to be a tougher grade of medal and hold a edge longer.On the scag's we use their oem blades and they all are marbane.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a new scag last year,the marbain blades stay sharper longer and cut much better than those less expensive ones like those from lesco.i've tried a couple different ones on the scag but the marbain ones are by far the best.

But you' ll pay for em.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Marbain blades are the best ive ever used, I purchased a new Scag 52 walkbehind back in Febuary and it came with the Marbain's, thats all i purchase anymore. They are made of a harder steel but you have to be careful cause if you hit concreat or some other hard substance they tend to chip, but other wise they are great blades, ive got over 300hrs on 4-sets, I run doubles all the time and they still cut awsome.....Marks Mowing Service

7. TaylorLawn

Do you purchase them from a dealer?? I use a local tool sharpening service, and Walker dealer, who also sells blades to about every major Lawn Company, and he has been great...The local SCAG dealer has been getting a thumbs down around here for a while, and service has been poor....Do you think they are dealer only?

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How much are they? I am always interested in trying out new blades with different machines.

9. rodfather my dealer charges right at 20 bucks per blade for 18inch blades for 52 and 36 inch mowers.dont have a scag 61 or 72 both those would cost even more.

10. Markus

Markus LawnSite Member

Taylorlawn i purchase them from my dealer, Its one of the biggest dealers around,and he is a great dealer. rodfather i pay 37.00 a set but there worth it.... Marks Mowing Service ps. I did order some marbain raptor blades from Turf Mag. but they sucked, 15min and they were off, Scags are really good ones.