Marbles under the deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have an old tired Bunton twister and the hour meter stopped working at 3400hrs ...it's old

Well I think the spindle bearings are shot. little bit of play and when I put grease in I dont feel any resistenance....

ok...now for the question

How do I change the bearings? Is a press needed?
    Thanks

2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

I changed a wheel bearing on my wifes Sentra couple of weeks ago,
    I used a press.

Not sure about the mower bearing.

3. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I put all new bearings in my Scag and didn't use a press the first time. I probably didn't do it "correctly" heck- I'm sure that I didn't. My machinist grandfather is probably rolling in his grave after I used a 2x4 and a big hammer.

Use a punch to get the old ones out, clean the spindle, put some oil on the spindle and the new bearing, lay the bearing flat and as square with the spindle as possible, put a board over the spindle and tap it until it seats. (I think my grandpa just rolled over again)...

The second time I replaced a bearing I used my father's arbor press. He bought the press shortly after I rebuilt my Scag so it wasn't an option at the time.

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

You do not need a press to change the bearings. The bearings are held in in different ways. Just have to take spindle housing off and look at to see what holds bearing in.

5. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

Meg-mo is that sterling or mt sterling

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

It is Sterling in the northern part of the state.

7. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

If you expect to get the full life of your spindles press your bearings into their housings. Unless they will slip in. the likelihood of them slipping in the housings and slipping onto the shafts are unlikely. If you plan on rebuilding your spindles now, and in the future it would behoove you to invest in a good arbor press.

Assemble them on a very clean area/workbench, and don't pack them full of grease. Instead only pack them 1/4 full of good clean grease. Bearings turning at this rpm should't be totally packed when assembled, because the balls/rollers won't roll, instead they will slide around in-between the races from lack of traction, and will get hot enough to cook the grease out of the bearings and cause them to seize.

Remove the wore out bearings and seals. Clean housings and any spacers your going to reuse. If you are going to reuse any spacers check them for wear. Press ball bearings on shaft with any spacers in-between bearings. Press seal (opposite end of peload nut) into housing . If spindles have tapered roller bearings press cup( outer race ) into housing, and press cones(roller Assembly) onto shaft with any spacers in-between cones.

Then press shaft with bearings and any spacers into housing. Next press second seal in and torque preload nut to specs, or .003"- .005" end-play.:)

No sweat.:D