Maresii Viburnum

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by David Shaw, May 31, 2004.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I planted 2 Maresii Viburnums for a customer 2 years ago now. They look like they are doing well, but they have never bloomed yet. They're probably 2 and a half foot tall now maybe 3. Any ideas as to why ? Thanks

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

When are you pruning them, if you are?

It could be that you are pruning off all of the flower buds, just a guess.

Dan

3. urbanlandscape

urbanlandscape LawnSite Member

Pruning, shade and nutrition. Trim viburnums after they bloom. Too much shade and they won't bloom, although they are fairly shade tolerant. Fertilizer always helps. Especially in a bed that is mulched. Every once in a while you get a plant that just won't grow, even in an area that seems ideal for it. I usually try transplanting to another area, add good soil with the transplant, and replace with something else.

4. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

They haven't been pruned at all. They just haven't grown that much. I have thought about getting some of the fertilizer spikes and see if that helps. The customer hasn't complained a bit, but the Viburnums aren't doing what I said and it bothers me. As for shade, they get shade late in the day, otherwise they get sun.