marine grade 2 stroke oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 22, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

is this better, or worse.. or not recommended at all for lawn equipment?

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You mean BCI (outboard) oil?

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If its synthetic I would think it would be fine. I was looking for an old manual I had for a chainsaw that I thought said not to use it. Guess it might vary form onemanufacturer to another. I always stuck with the Echo bottles, convienent.

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not use marine 2cycle, it tends to put a black varnish on your piston and cylinder, probably because of the higher rpms in your handheld 2 cycle, stick with your commercial 2cycle brands it will save you a lot of $ in repairs.
    Hope this helps.

5. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

In many years working with two strokes I was always told to use an oil ceritfied specifically for aircooled engines. One tech guy explained that boat engines generally run much cooler due the constant flow of fresh cool water thru the jackets. Aircooled working engines run at a higher temp and need a different formulation of oil.

6. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

From What I Understand It Will Work But May End Up Ruining Your Carbs. Also The Boat 2 Stroke Isnt Engineered For The Same Rpm Or Heat Ranges. I Tried It A Few Years Ago And By The End Of Using A Five Gallon Can Of Mix All My 2stroke Equip (tanaka-stihl-echo) Seemed To Lose Some Power And Engine Speed. Switched Back To Echos Oil For 2stroke And The Power Came Back In A Few Days Although Those Machines Never Really Seemed The Same After.

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo :)

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

this is correct, marine oil is for water cooled 2 strokes, NOT air cooled

9. Armando Conti

Armando Conti LawnSite Member

Beyond being water cooled, marine motors typically operate at a constant sustained RPM for relatively long periods. I have read that this affects how the oil acts in the motor, and the oil manufacturers take this into account when formulating the oil. It is not just the water cooled aspect, marine motors are different animals and you should not use that oil in your mowers.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The base stocks used for for water cooled engine oil are not the same as those used for air cooled engine oil. If the label reads "TCW" don't use it in air cooled engines.

The money saved by using TCW oil in air cooled engines won't come close to the money spent on repairs. The only one who will be happy is your dealer.

Oldtimer