% Mark-up on Exmark mower

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kckid, Apr 8, 2002.

1. kckid

kckid LawnSite Member

Anyone know what the average markup on exmark laser Z, HP, LC are?

Very few Exmark dealers in my area, and the quotes I have been getting seem only couple of hundred off "list".

Would like to buy an Exmark, but I don't pay list.

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My Exmark dealer pretty much sticks to retail price. I don't mind paying it because I know I'm getting a quality product and good dealer service.

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

When I buy a machine from my dealer, I respect his pricing and he always throws me a great deal with out me asking for it. Regardless, when I buy a machine, I buy knowing that he stands behind his products. If anything goes down, he fixes it, and fixes right away. If he can't, he lets me use something new until mine is up and running. Knowing that is worth something.

4. kckid

kckid LawnSite Member

:cry: Let me clarify the situation. I do not run a lawn cutting business, I am a homeowner. I don't need the "extra" service. Looking for a good mower at a fair price.

IMHO, the markup on these things must be huge. Even a 15% markup on a $8500 mower is still over $1,275 dollars.

Plus add in sales tax and you are talking about over $2,000 dollars in difference from buying it locally.

Would Exmark rather people buy other equipment from other manufacturers? What happened to free markets? Allowing the marketplace to set the price works best. Allowing competition lowers price and moves units. Moving units increases jobs. Lowered price increases profits of the end users.

Is it against "exmark" policy to allow dealers to sell outside of their "local" area?

Sorry that is just my opinion. Don't flame me to hard :)

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind the dealer has a very short season. He sells a large % of his equipment withing a three month period. He must stay afloat the rest of the year. If you as a homeowner puchase an Exmark, that will be your last mower purchase. At 30 hours per year that mower will last 100 years.

6. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own a exmark (other brand of mowers) but i do feel that I should defend their mowers and policies. The mark-up on lawn mowers is more than 15%. I have bought plenty of mowers through the years and no matter what brand you buy they are all pretty much the same as far as % over cost. It does'nt matter how much the list price is it all depends on the dealer you buy from I have gotten mowers for a lot less than retail in the past and it had nothing to do with manufacturers it was the dealers choice. As for selling mowers outside of their local area I guess you never bothered to check out their website because if you did you would of seen that they have a classified section on their site that allows dealers to sell mowers to anyone, no matter where you are located. What you are buying is quality and performance if all you worry about is the mark-up of a machine than maybe you should go buy a lesser mower for a little less mark-up but be prepared to spend a lot more money in fixing and maintaining that mower. You being a home owner should enjoy knowing that by buying a commercial zero turn you will never have to spend another dollar on a mower again. If you want to save some serious money on a exmark than go to the dealer and ask him if he has any demo mowers for sale, most demo mowers have less than 50 hours on them and are still like new, I have mowers that have 1000's of hours on them so 50 hours aint alot. Sometimes you need to look at the big picture and take into account what it will cost in the future and not what it costs today. Before you bash me for defending a mower that I don't even own I would like to let you know that I have been in this buisiness for a long time and I have used dozens of mowers through the years including exmarks and they are definately one of the top three mower manufacturers in this industry.

7. kckid

kckid LawnSite Member

Would not bash you... That was a good response. Thanks!

First I am looking for quality, second price, 3rd service. IMHO is that if they sell mostly to commercial users, and these users demand "good" service (replacement for downtime, etc..) and I don't demand that level of service. The price should not be the same.

You say greater than 15%, how much greater?

Thanks

8. shadow

shadow LawnSite Member

So let me get this right,

You do not demand the high level of service, so you say your price should be lower?

I dont demand a tomatoe on my buger, so Burger King if your reading this plz lower the price of my Whopper!!!!

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer markups are not set by Exmark. Exmark has a "suggested" retail price and no dealer is required to sell at that price. The amount of markup is totally up to the dealer. We have 2 Exmark dealers that are relatively close to one another. One of them sells 60" 25 Kaw Lazer Zs for under $7,000, the other one sells them for around $8,000.

You know what they say, if the heat's too high get out of the kitchen.

10. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I am not sure about the rest of you, when I buy a hamburger, tent, tire etc Icould care less what the markup is. If you want the the cheapest got to wal-mart, if you want the best buy eXmark.

They are in BUSINESS TO MAKE A GREAT PRODUCT FAIRLY PRICED AT A PROFIT!! They are not candy-stripers(volunteers).

I am in the retail business also and I simply do not understand what makes people think that it is their right to have at their disposal the internal information about a company. How would you respond if I wanted to take a look at YOUR bank accout balance 2 or 3x a week just because I felt I wanted to?

I am pretty sure that you go to work and you put in your time, you might even love your work, as most of us in this business do,
    TO MAKE MONEY. Right? What Exmark does is no different, just on a larger scale.

Do you really think that when you take your car to a dealership and they charge $75 per hour, that the mechanic is the one that gets $75 per hour?

I don't think that anyone with a good head about business will disclose ANYTHING financial to a complete stranger.

I don't mean to go off but your question was dead before it
    started. Do you wait to find out markup on every potential purchase? If so then you must take a long time or you never buy anything.

I am sorry about the long, flame ridden post. As you said it is just an opinion.

Rick

PS. Does it really matter anyway?