mark up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by neogeofan, Mar 26, 2007.

1. neogeofan

neogeofan LawnSite Member

Hi Guys. Can anyone give me a general idea on how to mark up supplies when giving customers an estimate. I am mostly concerned about things like flowers and mulch. Any help you can provide will be appreciated
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

on flowers I do cost +%. Mulch is between 50-90 a yard installed.
    so annuals they cost 48 a flat +fert+prem+soil ammend so looking at 48+5+8+10x1.45 or what ever percentage. good luck you have to figure out what you want to make plus your cost of materials. I can put in a flat usually in under 10 min.
  3. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

I have the bill for all materials go directly to the customer, no mark up on anything. For a one man operation it saves paperwork and one less bill I need to worry about paying. Even when supplies come form the competiton. It makes my life easier, and the customer appreciates it. May not work for someone else.
  4. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

I generally charge the exact cost as well - and make up for the percentage lost in the initial bidding. My experience has been that customers respond really well to seeing proof (the receipt) that you aren't hosing them on materials (not suggesting anyone here is gouging, but I have encountered customers who had been burned and were worried about it). The cost really comes out the same.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

the 45 % in my case is what I get paid in labor. other wise I would have to say the flat plust my wage per hour. I rather work by the job rather than the hour.