mark, why doesnt my original brain fit my new trimmer?

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by clydesdale, Aug 5, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

mark, i have an older tanaka tbc 220 with the original brain. I cant get this trimmer head to fit on my new tbc 230. Also the bush trimmer kit for the new 230 doesnt fit the 220. Is there an adapter kit. I ask because i want the new hedge trimmer to fit on both pieces of equip and to be able to swap line trimmer heads. Thanks

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

The TBC-220 was a 10x1.25LHF (on the trimmer gear case). Of course it requires a 10x1.25LH stud coming out of the head.

The TBC-230 is an 8x1.25RH stud on the trimmer side. Of course requiring an 8x1.25RH nut in the head.

We have an adapter that will make the old Brain head fit the TBC-230. Part number 315-33071-200. Unfortunately, the adapter will have to be changed within the head when swapping back and forth between the 220 and 230. No big deal – it only takes a minute.

The hedgetrimmer attachment (TPH-210), will bolt right onto either machine without modification, as they are both 24mm pipes with 7mm solid splined drive shafts. In other words, with the gear cases removed – they would look the same.

If you need to order the adapter through us, call us at 1-888-482-6252

-MW

3. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

Mark, will that same adapter make my new brush blade for the 230 fit the old 220? I wanted to make the 220 my brush trimmer. Thanks, you are an excellent resource to have on this site. Thank you.

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

The adapter is only for the Brain head, and is unique to that application. There is a bolt available that will facilitate bolting the blade onto the TBC-220. See the parts catalog that shows the blade attachment hardware. http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=113

However, this is kind of the old school way to do it. It pre-dates a very important safety standard that requires the use of a barrier bar, shoulder strap, etc. - when using a metal blade. All of this to prevent an injury from a blade kick-back situation. Our suggestion would be to outfit one of the machines with the blade and all safety related items included in the blade adapter kit, then use the other as a grass trimmer.

-MW