1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Market in Florida

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Jul 21, 2005.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

Can anybody in or around Pinellas county florida give me an idea if the market is good right now? I'll be going full time next year so I was wondering how stiff the competition is going to be.
  2. Greener Gardens Landscape

Greener Gardens Landscape LawnSite Member

It does not pay to do lawn in my area. I mostly do landscape and grading. Guys are cutting lawns for 15.00 per cut around here....
  3. True Harbor

What do you guys think about asking other LCO's what they're charging for a yard just to get an idea of the going rate. I know it would vary depening upon who I asked but I just didn't know if this was acceptable or not since I'm still new.
  4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Yeah, you can ask them. You can also ask neighbors or other people what they pay their LCO's. But you'll probably get vast ranges in price for the same sized yards.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's ok to ask so long you expect a few to tell you mind your own biz, you will also get some that will tell you upfront and then some will lie about it, but all in all this will give you an idea. i would suggest to ask straight-forward and not make up some spiel, had a guy do that to me a year or so ago and had he asked me straight, I may or may not have told him but since he played a game, the answer was even less forthcoming and I never told him.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It just varies so much depending on hedges, shrubs, gates, the customers attitude...... But if your wondering if there is money in it, sit at the corner of 19 and gulf to bay some afternoon about 5:00 and see how many lawn trucks you see.
  7. True Harbor

I have been scouting around and there seems to be a ton of LCO's everywhere so does that mean things are being done dirt cheap around here?
  8. HisMoney

HisMoney LawnSite Member

I don't base my price on the other guy. I know what it takes to run my company (operating cost) and what it takes to make a profit. That's what I charge.
    And to agree with "Lawnman Scott", every lawn varies.

I guess what I am saying is , don't let the other guy determine your price. You can't.
    You determine what you charge. You're gonna win some and your gonna here about the other guy and what he charges.

Good luck payup
  9. True Harbor

Anyone else have some feedback from Pinellas County? Thanks.
  10. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

It's insane how many houses they are building over here in Polk and Osceola county. So yeah, there's plenty of business. Competition is cutthroat.

We're targeting the new homeowner, trying to hook up with some builders. Going to look at 3 commercial properties today. Two are apartments under construction, one an empty lot which is going to be a RV park.

Good luck!