Market in Southwest LA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by long_point_landscaping, Jul 22, 2007.

1. long_point_landscaping

long_point_landscaping LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have some questions about the possibility of moving to the western gulf coast of LA. I have a guy desperately trying to convince me to pack up and head down there. He says the market is booming and there aren't alot of LCOs to go around. Is he right or just blowing smoke up my a$$. If the market could handle another lawn guy what am I looking at concerning season, lawn types, blah blah blah. I do feel I need a change but am clueless to what I might be getting into. Btw I would be moving about 20 mins outside of lake charles. Let me know guys and be honest I will appreciate all input

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm a few hours from there, but the market here is good. a friend of mine got in this year and is booked solid already. i would imagine the hurricane ran a lot of lco's out of business.:usflag:

3. Yard-Ape

Yard-Ape LawnSite Member

This is our first year in business. My brother and I run our LCO part-time and we have all the accounts we want already (around 10 residential and 2 or 3 commercial) and have been turning away some new business. If we do take on a new customer, it means that we successfully dropped one of our few PITA's or less profitable accounts.

That being said, it seems that every other vehicle on the road around here is a truck pulling a 16' landscape trailer with 2 or more ZTRs and trimming racks mounted everywhere. The area is still growing and recovering from hurricane Rita, but a lot of people around here still view grass as "that green crap covering my yard that I have to cut", instead of "my lawn that looks great when properly manicured".

20 minutes which direction outside Lake Charles?

4. long_point_landscaping

long_point_landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input guys. After your posts and some research of my own I do believe I 'm just gonna stay here in good ol WV and continue building on a good thing. Thanks again, Micah

5. grassrangers

grassrangers LawnSite Member

yeah i would def not come down here to LA i live right out of Baton Rouge and we cut a large lot on US HWY 61 and it takes us around 1.5 hours well i normally cut in the front and last week i decided i would count the number of LCO's that passed me, i was at 12 when i decided to stop and im sure more than that passed like when i had my back against the hwy. but a good thing is next season you will prob only see 2 or 3 of the same guys the rest will quit cuz they try and undercut everyone here who is established to get the business, like i use to cut a yard for 45 a cut which was a very reasonable price and the owner told me someone came to him and would do it for 25 a cut WTF?!?!?!?!?! needless to say 3 months later i was cutting the yard again.