Market share: Exmark, Scag, Dixie, Hustler, etc

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jul 3, 2005.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone know how much market share the top ZTR mowers have. Or what are the top 5 or 6 in order of sales.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Production and sales numbers are pretty closely held secrets, or so it seems. If asked, most every rep. from every mower manufacturer, will tell you how good there sales are, and how they are growing and expanding. I personally do not believe that. I know the market is growing, but so are the number of ,mower manufacturers. I think there are some well known manufacturers whose sales are really falling, and who are in a struggle for survival. I have no info. to tell you which ones are faltering, but I have some good guesses, based on what I see happening in the market in my area. After all, over 40 brands of ZTR's are on the market now.
    Which brands sell the most? Good question. I saw a news note somewhere in a trade magazine that listed the " Top 5 or 6 Most Recognized Brands" of ZTR's. Can not find it now, but I think Toro, Grasshopper, and Walker were in there.
    Now, don't jump all over me, but my GUESS on the top ZTR sellers, ( not in any particular order) is as follows: Exmark, Grasshopper, Toro, Walker, Gravely, Scag, Dixie Chopper, and the Textron brands,(lumped together, Bunton, Bobcat, Jacobsen.
    Coming on strong would be Hustler and JD.
    Everyone else is fading, or struggling to hold market share. NATIONWIDE, how many Country Clipper, Everide, Dieness, Bush Hog, Woods, Yazoo-Kees, Dixon, Husky, etc. do you really see.?
    OK, you can rake me over the coals now. Or better yet, what does everyone else think. Remember, what you see running in your area is not necessarily a good measure of nationwide, or even worldwide sales. Some of these companys have a big volume of sales overseas.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The info is published somewhere. The only figures published are shipments from the manufacturers.

4. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

According to 2004 market numbers - this is industry wide: Toro/Exmark have over 65% of the market share. I'm sure that in certain parts of the country other manufactures have a greater share than these 2 companys

5. Oldtimer

www.marketresearch.com Covers just about everything built and costs $4100.00 per copy.

SECTION IV: THE U.S. MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL LAWN
    AND GARDEN EQUIPMENT

Analysis:

U.S. Manufacturers’ Sales

Market Trends

Mowing Equipment

Turf and Grounds Care Equipment

Tables:

U.S. Manufacturers’ Sales of Commercial Lawn and Garden Equipment:

Total Dollar Sales

Dollar Sales, by Type

U.S. Manufacturers’ Sales of Commercial Mowing Equipment:

Dollar Sales, by Type

Unit Shipments, by Type

Average Prices, by Type

U.S. Manufacturers’ Sales of Commercial Turf and Grounds Care

Equipment:

Dollar Sales, by Type

Unit Shipments, by Type

Average Prices, by Type

6. Oldtimer

In August I will be spending a couple of days @ the eXmark factory in Nebraska. I have heard that their production is 80% eXmark and 20% Toro but it wasn't in writing. A couple of years ago eXmark shipments represented 26% of industry total "Z" shipments but that figure could have included Toro.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think I will rush right out and buy a copy of that report. Before the price goes up! :dizzy: ;)

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody will give you a hard time for stating your opinion Mowingman. Thats what I was looking for. I had never heard of Exmark a few years ago when I bought my first mower. I started with a 220 Grasshopper. Most of the larger lawn care companies around here run Grasshopper and I just figured it was that way everywhere but turns out that its only a regional trend and Exmark sells alot more mowers and is more popular in other areas. It maybe the hills and rough terrain around here that makes the out front deck Grasshoppers so popular here or just Exmark was slow coming to this area. I would have guessed (1) Exmark/Toro (2) Dixie (3) Scag but thats just a wild guess. I would have thought Hustler is gaining market share and not sure at all about Grasshopper for they are rarely ever mentioned on this site. I go to another Lawn site and they all seem to favor Dixie Choppers. Of course Dixie is the sponsor. This is a very interesting subject and I hope more will give us opinions on it. I was talking to my buddy today that runs a Scag and he was telling me how they are the best mowers but I've heard the same thing from my Grasshopper and Dixie chopper friends. I still like the design of the Exmark best but think there are alot of good ones out there.

9. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I know DC is not as big as Exmark/Toro, but they send over 14,000 machines out the door yearly..................Lynn

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

These numbers are readily available to the companies just like data on computer sales. Why haven't some of the lawnsite sponsors put forward the data?? It ain't bragging if it is true!