Marketing/Advertising

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by inside-out, Jan 30, 2001.

1. inside-out

inside-out LawnSite Member

I am looking for GOOD ideas for some more advertising ideas. Right now I will be putting out fliers as well as direct mailing 500 Homes and businesses. I will also be putting fliers in some supermarkets. I would like to do one more thing but I son't know what. I was thinking about ads in the paper but I wanted to look at some other alternatives as well.

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

What and who are you marketing to? Are you looking at the installation market, or maintance. Home owners need different info than commerical. Tell us more and then let the ideas roll:)

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Ahhhh, grasshoppah....

You may find that the 'traditional' methods of advertising yeild limited results. We don't have time for limited results, dumping money into a media machine that delivers 1-2% in leads. Yellow pages are good, but with moderation. Newspaper can work OK, but you need to commit to season-long advertising there.

The best book I've ever read about how-to marketing is called 'Guerrilla Marketing.'

But Paul is right. Give us more information, and we'll try to generate some ideas.

4. inside-out

I do installation and maintenence. I plan to direct mail 100 businesses and 400 homes. I also plan to put out fliers. I guess what I am looking for is ideas on how to get into more commercial. right know I do approx. 35% commercial. I would like to get that number up.

5. inside-out

What do you think is the best type of advertising for all year round.

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Commerical work..... Mail letters to general contractor telling them you want to bid on jobs that they have comming up. Get your name out stop by local construction trailer, leave your card, get names of buyers from the site supervisor. Buy some of them lunch. Dodge report.... lots of leads there on new construction.

7. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Years ago I did remodeling, kitchen deseign and sales. One of the best places for new constuction leads ( res.and comm. ) was down at City Hall. They could give me a computor print-out of building permits based on whatever dollar amount I wanted. So, I would look at permits over $100K. I could call the builder, property owner or just drop in on the site if work had started. If you have'nt tried this it's a good rainy day $ generating activity.

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

As you'll find out as you spend more time here, Paul's strength is commercial work, mine is residential. But I think I'll weigh in on part of your commercial strategy. If you're doing 35% commercial and want more, I'd scrap the grocery marketing. Also, change that ratio around on the mailers (you're sending 4x the mailers to people you want less business from).

Also, do a search on this site for the text "hunting elephants." You'll find a recent thread as well as an old one, each with good info about this.

9. inside-out

Thanks for all the advice so far. I think the letters to contractors is a great idea and I will try that. Paul you don't happen to have a copy of a letter do you? My writing skills really need to be improved. Also if you could explain the "dodge report". =Thanks again for the advice

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Dodge report http://fwdodge.com/ is a construction guide for the building trades, it lists building going up, under planning, and out for bidding. It cost money some times big money :) but if you are going into commerical projects you are going to need leads and they give them to you, you just have to learn to read it:)