Marketing Agency

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TGCummings, Apr 4, 2002.

1. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Every time I sit down to figure out how best to reach my target market, or to design an ad, flyer, or magnetic sign, I get frustrated over all the possibilities. Should I say this, or that? Do I emphasize this part, or make this part bold print? Color or black and white? Red or Green?

Should I contact a professional?

Does anyone here use a marketing agency to design their advertising materials, or to help them decide the best way to get their name out? Do you find it worthwhile? About what do you pay?

We could use 25-50 new regular customers in the next 6 months-1 year, and we have a little money to spend. An investment soundly made for the future is well worth it, to me. How do I know I'm saying the right things to get their attention? There are people out there, just like us, who are professional and provide a service to make a living for a fee. Except they cull the masses while we cut their lawns.

Are they worth it?

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Go read the Guerilla Marketing books. I started one and it is interesting. Find them on line at the book store or try Barnes & Noble or Borders if they are in your area. The stores would let you look a little to see what you waant to read first.

3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

For someone that has experience, $60-150 per hour for conceptualization/design, $40-150 hour for graphic design/proof, setup to print direct mail $400-800, then price varies per piece depending on what you would like.

There are plenty of websites out there that you can place this out there for bid, for a fee of course.

Good Luck..

jf

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

OOHHH.....how I feel your pain.

5. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

Guerrilla marketing has a website you might want to look at

http://www.gmarketing.com/cgi-bin/main.pl

also when I run into these kind of problems or an idea I go to www.google.com and just search for it.... if you have the paitence and some time ... as this is a cheaper way to get some answers...

they may not be right, but it brough me here......

Hope it helps

:cool:

6. crew

crew LawnSite Member

I recently purchased the Guerilla Marketing Handbook and have read 100 or so pages. The problem is this; if I took the time to do all the things suggested, no lawn would ever be mowed. Or else I would be a stranger to my family.
    I'm going to follow this thread closely, because its a great question.

7. robert fling

robert fling LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

i am rather new here at lawnsite and this is my first year in the biz. everyone here has been so helpful with all my questions, i feel i need to do what i can. My "real job" lets say is in advertising. i work at a well respected ad agency on long island, and if there is any advertising advice i can lend anyone or review anyones current advertising i would be happy to do so. if anyone would like to contact me you can shoot me an e-mail at rfling@crownad.com

good luck this year to everyone

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Everyone has been telling you to read Guerilla Marketing, and for good reason. The information contained within that book helped start a chain of PR for me and my company that has included 4 newspaper articles (big ones with large color photos, etc - check out my website for a few of them), 2 trade mag articles, and some time on the local NBC affiliate. And it was all for about $200, plus some of my time.

And nothing gets people calling more than articles. Ads are good, but who reads those? You buy a magazine for the articles (or the pics, depending on your tastes :cool: ), not the ads.

As for the message used in advertising, because you need that, too, the only thing I can offer for advice is to develop a corporate 'voice'. By that I mean a style of writing, style of advertising. Like a corporate personality. And if you don't know how to go about it, look at some examples of companies that do what you'd like to do. Use that as a template and modify it to fit your needs. And as time goes on, change what doesn't work.

But do something. Get the name out there. General MacArthur once said: "A good plan executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."

9. lantz

lantz LawnSite Member

Your situation sounded very familiar to mine a few months ago. I have been is sales the last 7 yrs. and can tell you you that sales is a numbers game. The best advertisement is word of mouth. I contacted, actually spoke with the decision maker, 347 commercial business, 39 apartment agencies and management companies, and 27 industrial sites. From there I landed over 14,000 a month in accounts right off the bat. I have picked up 17 new residential accounts from the new contacts. From there you can continue to network and become as big as you would like. This is a service EVERYONE needs, the potential market is virtuall unlimited. Get out and sell, conversation goes much further than publication!!!

Lantz

10. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that word of mouth is the best form of advertising, I think that 9 out 10 times some one recommends you for the job, it's in the bag.

Hank