1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Marketing Books, Leadership Skills, Time Management

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Smithers, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

ok, i dont know if i am posting this thread in the right place, but i am looking for books, articles, and anything else that can help me learn more about selling, management, time management, leadership skills, marketing, etc. anything that has to do with dealing with a customer.

The greatest thing is that by reading these books, you dont just help your business. you help yourself grow and prosper in life.

So, if anyone knows of any books that are worth reading, please let me know. and dont say "Go to amazon and do a search". There are 100K books on that stuff but you never know which one sucks and which one is great.

Tell me books that you have read, really liked and learned a whole lot from. thanks a bunch. waiting for your responses.
  2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well...he was actually a car salesman but Joe Girard has a book entitled "how to sell anything to anybody" excellent read
  3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of people recommend "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. I've read it and it's good. The book I've been touting lately is "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. He was encouraged by Andrew Carnegie to research a "success philosophy" and spent more than 20 years of his life doing so. Very intriguing book.

Hope this helps,
  4. Smithers

Thanks, Eric,

I have read Rich Dad, poor dad....That book is about taking risks, not about management, leadership or selling.

I will check out the other one you recommended.

Will they move my thread back here if i post it in the Commercial Lawn Care?
  5. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

Check out all of Harry Beckwith's books. He is a marketing expert for service type businesses. As you know, there are many differences in marketing between a product driven business and a service oriented business. He has three books out (the first is called 'Selling the Invisible') and they're all excellent.

Guerilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson is a great read. He gives lots of useful information on marketing a business effectively with little money.

Another great book is The Portable MBA in Entrepreneurship. It is a must have for useful information in every facet of your business. (It has a very good marketing chapter too.)

Perhaps my most highly recommended book would be ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie. It’s a classic in human relations that was written in the thirties (it has been updated more recently though). A lot of the information he presents will greatly increase your selling effectiveness.

I usually buy all my books on Amazon, but here lately I've been using Overstock.com. They are trying desperately to compete with Amazon.com and therefore have even lower prices than Amazon on some of their books.

Good luck!

6. elijahjames

elijahjames LawnSite Member

If you have employee(s) an old favorite is "The One Minute Manager". great book and has excellent advice for dealing with people in general. Short and easy to read as well.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi petrentz,

Every month we post a business book of the month. All of these books should help you grow and inspire you.

Here is the link. If you read any of them, please let us know your review of them.
  8. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of The One Minute Manager, there are a whole pile of the "One Minute...." books, not the least of which is "The One Minute Sales Person" which is good.

9. Smithers

Thanks, guys....keep them coming. I got some time now where i can order some books and read during the slow time.

I will definetely check out Guerilla Marketing....you are the second person to reccomend it to me, as well as "Selling the Invisable".

Gopher, thanks for the link. i did not know thatyou guys have that (book of the month). :waving: :waving:
  10. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

The E Myth is always a good one.