Marketing Fertilizer/weed control

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Clippers PLS, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

So this year we have added fertilizer application and weed control to our list of services. Got my licenses this last month and have that all set. I have pricing figured out for the most part but still have a few questions. Mainly, how do you guys market your programs? What programs work best. (I'm in Virginia, almost all of our properties are fescue or a mix of rye and fescue) I haven't been able to find a good program and am struggling to convince people to use our services rather than someone else like True Green etc. etc. Any help is appreciated!

2. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have done the same thing. Honestly I havent found it hard to pick up. I have always had a large number of calls for this service but deferred to Scotts. My contract customers already were paying me so we just took the contracts over from Scotts. I have added about 40 new clients this last month from new calls plus we did 1000 flyers in target areas advertising the service. Lots of people will try you if you seem to be knowledgable about the service and if they are unhappy with current providers. Pick out properties that may need some attention, but not the ones that are purely neglected. What rig are you using and what chemicals are you going with?

3. Clippers PLS

We are trying to stick to granular for fertilizer but I will be using one of the two trucks we have either an 07 2500 or a 2012 250...havent decided on that one yet but it will probably be the chevy. To start out we got a 100 gallon skid and if things take off we will upgrade. In the past we have always gotten requests but have turned them away but finally decided to take it on...Also still trying to figure out the whole contract thing with customers. Wording contracts is not something I am good at but its getting there. Many of our current customers have already signed on with us for this year I'm just curious to see how other companies market it and what works best.

4. Clippers PLS

As for chemicals, mainly lesco products. 3 way ester seems to be a big one. Still on a learning curve for products though. If you can recommend any that you have had good luck with that would be grat

5. GreenGuysLC

I dont push contracts. That is a selling point of its own. People are reluctant to contracts. You do a good job and be educated about it and they will keep you around. I am also using Lesco 3-way and Stonewall. I will also use Barricade, and simazine. Got a few places I may go with celsius on aw well. Leaning towards Andersons Fertilizers. I am running a 300gal lesco tank. To me chemical weeding and granular fert is the way to go. IMO

6. Clippers PLS

Not really a contract from a retainment standpoint but more a liability standpoint. Like say some customer's dog eats granular fertilizer or something. Basically something they sign saying if that does happen we arent liable.

7. Clippers PLS

Also we are going to try granular weed control just more or less as a test run this season to see what works best for our set up. Personally, if I could stick with all granular, I would but I have a feeling it wont work. I want to limit using liquid chems as much as I can, as for our set up, granular makes more sense

8. GreenGuysLC

Man I hate to tell you .... that wont fly. You treat their lawn and leave the required posting or paperwork, and something goes wrong.... they will find a way to make you liable. Better just carry insurance and cover that aspect. Benefits to chemical weed is the reaction time. Granular takes longer to see results and being new.. you want to show them results..... fast. I would really look at doing some chemical. Look around for a tank. I found an old lesco set up for 600$. Had to replace the pump and hoses but still under $1500 and have a really good starter unit. If all goes well I will purchase a second one this fall. You can find good ones on here for $2500-3500.

9. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

won't all granular be super expensive?

10. Clippers PLS

Well what I was thinking was like spraying but at the same time limiting spraying to when weeds come up and use granular pre ems to prevent them in the first place if that makes sense.