1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Marketing flops

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Jun 23, 2003.

1. What are some of your not so successful marketing trials and tribulations?

What didn't work?
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Free kittens with each cut.:rolleyes:
  3. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I tried advertising with Dominos Pizza. They had coupon books that went out with every pizza and I had a color add in the book. It looked nice, very professional and it was going out to the areas that I wanted. But not a single call, out of 30K ads.

Oh well, won't do that one again...
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking of placing an ad on the back of movie ticket stubs, but I'm afraid that it will have the same success as the Dominos pizza thing. What do you guys think?
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I don't think I've ever looked at the back of a movie ticket stub.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you're going to advertise in movie theater (i think) you'll be driving all over the county and probably 2 or 3 surrounding ones for work. Unless you've got the crews to support that i think you'll be spreading your work out too much to turn a profit. I'm working on picking up work within 2 miles of each of my accounts to try to get it a little tighter.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Local radio station passed out 1600 door hangers placed in a "goody bag" at a cooking seminar for women aged between 35-65. Only charged $100, so I thought, "what the hell?"

0 calls

8. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Local am Gospel radio sation... 0 calls, when I signed up didn't know it was Gospel:eek:
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Grocery Cart Handle's And Receipts.
  10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

$1200 sign at a huge local supermarket (Kroger). Full color banner, 1' x 2'. Its been up since Dec. 02, will be up until Nov 03 (year). Over 10,000 people walk in that store everyday, so the same people see it every time they go in. So far, Ive had.....................1 CALL!!, and it was only for a leaf/property cleanup (last Jan). Maybe it will pay off but so far.....Ive lost.