Marketing Idea (using my go-cart)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by outrunjason, Jan 7, 2008.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Ok this is going to sound crazy but I have been known to do risky things.

Here it is. For the longest time I put out my own flyers on doors. Took a lot of time and a lot of work. As I got larger I hired a company to do it one year. It cost me greatly and I didn't get that great of a response. But last year I used my employees to put out flyers.

This didn't really save me money but at the same time it kept them busy on days we were not full. Only problem was they just can't walk 4 and sometimes 8 hours a day it is a lot of work.

So, here is my idea for this year. I thought I would put out most of the flyers and here is how I would do it. I saw a real estate company do this. The took a small American Flag and put a flyer on it and put it in the ground like right at the walkway near the sidewalk.

I thought hmm. What an idea. Well what I would like to do is the same thing. Here is the crazy part. I would use my go cart!! Yeah I know it is illegal but I don't care. I could get streets done in the same amount of time it would take 2 guys at 10 bucks an hour. I would just pull up to the house stick the flag in the ground and move to the next house. The go-cart is small it's not loud. Chances of getting caught are small.

So, I would save a lot of money in the sense of having to pay all those employees but I have not looked to see how much the flags are or how hard it would be to attach my flyer to it. At any rate that was my idea. What do you think. :usflag:

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

if i had a cement driveway and u came buzzing up in your go cart and stuck something in my lawn turned around and made rubber marks with your tires. i would get out my shotgun and start spraying.

3. outrunjason

from dallas

LOL. :) It sounds worse then it really is. Here in the city kids cruise around on those gas powered scooters, pocket rockets etc. I would be on the sidewalk in the middle of the day. Most people are not home. All the driveways are in the back. I could do 10 houses in about a minute. If the police come I will just have to get away and top the thing out at 21mph :)

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, if you get caught you better hope the officer lets you off with a warning...

Nothing short of thinking of drinking and driving, for starters it isn't safe.

We're talking unlicensed / unregistered, improper lights (this alone can expand into no headlights, no tail lights, no turn signals, no back up lights), seat belt violation, no horn, improper brakes, too low to the ground, no catalytic, and I haven't even warmed up, the list of violations is endless for an offroad vehicle.

Some friends of mine got caught years ago, the officer was in a good mood because they were kids, he let them off with a tow, had the cart towed and took them home to face the parents, they had to pay for that but that was lucky!

You catch an officer on a bad day he can write you tickets until he runs out of paper or ink, I am serious.
    Think you can outrun the police, that's just more bad news waiting to happen.
    What if he catches you anyhow, then it's attempting to elude police, might as well go for reckless driving now.
    Which, even if you're just putt-putting along and stop for the police, he could still charge you for reckless.
    At the very least it will cost you 100, on a bad day thousands, russian roulette they can even throw you in jail, for real.

Just use your car, we used to do 180 flyers an hour that way, you won't get much more out of it anyhow, not legally.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I would NEVER advise someone to do somethine illegal

6. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

There's your answer right there!

7. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

Don't you think that they would know who you are if they call the number???

I don't think it is a smart move...:dizzy::confused:

8. outrunjason

from dallas

Ok forget about whether it is legal or not. Also I have been advertising for the longest time. People call in on my guys all the time. Officers could care less. A go-cart would be a different story but seriously they would let me go. (shhh my dad is a cop!) What I really need is a segway. Those are legal on the sidewalk last I heard.

Would the flag in the yard make you mad stuff like that is what I want to know. Would this save time etc. My guys get tired of walking after just 4 hours and I don't blame them. I could go out there and do what they do in half the time doing it this way.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nevermind the scooter, or go-cart, or whatever on the sidewalks or streets. If you are willing to exploit and use our flag for your advertising purposes - especially at this time when we have real men withOUT scooters dying for that flag everyday, I would confiscate ALL your stuff just on principle itself.

10. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

If He Was Only Older Than 15 Maybe We Could Suggest Seeing Your Local Recruiter So That You Would Have A Greater Respect For Your Nations Flag And What It Takes To Maintain It.