1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Marketing Idea - What's your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by covalawn, Feb 18, 2008.

1. covalawn

covalawn LawnSite Member

I was thinking the other day about advertising to "Donate $1 per cut" to a charity. Do you think it would be a good selling point? Would it draw more customers or push them away? I understand that it depends on how many people see it and the type of advertising but i'm asking about the idea in general. I don't know if I would ever do it but would like some input on this.

2. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

eeehhhhhhhhhhh, it could go either way imo.

the problem is, there are so many charity scams right now that people may shy away.

On the otehr hand, there are lots of people that LOVE to donate to charitys though things like.

I dont know, imo unless you were fairly established and known in your area, it could backfire.
  3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I was thinking about something like that. like classy said... IMO it would backfire, someone might hear that you didn't actually donate the money a rumor might get started or something like that. And it would ruin your name, even if you could prove you donated the money. There is just to many people out there looking to scam people with charity bs. Unless you have the people make a check out to XXX Charity, but even still.... just my .02
  4. mowum

mowum LawnSite Member

I did something like that last year. I advertised in several church bulletins. I gave $1 per cut back to the church. It did well. I plan to do it again this year.
  5. Joe Shooner

Joe Shooner LawnSite Member

You might get more traction if you say, "Donate a Mowing to Charity", and give people the option to have one of their weekly mowings donated. This makes it a discreet event, rather than a check-off on their monthly bill that looses it's impact over the course of the year. In this case, of course, you are the one donating the money, but it would seem a little more "believeable" to the customers/prospects.

AND if you really want to make it work for you, you set aside one whole week as your charity week, write up some press releases, get a little media coverage.