Marketing Ideas

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by packerbacker, Nov 26, 2003.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been in business for about 4 years now and it seems to me like i've hit the ceiling. A very low ceiling :(. Im looking for some marketing ideas that i can send out in the spring. My main source of income is mowing but im getting into chemicals next year. I was just wondering what everyone here does in the spring to bring in new commercial and residential clients.
  2. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

I'm from kansas city and I mostly advertise in the small town newspapers like lees summit journal so that i can keep my accounts in a general area, at the beginning of the seasons I call past clients neighbors and try to sell on them also, just a few ideas. Steve
  3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you do any door-to-door flyers or advertising? It just seems to me that making up 5000 flyers and doing them by hand can be a little to much.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i been into chemicals for years. i've been treating lawns with them for only 3 yrs though. good racket.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I done the doorhanger deal and just not much luck. Not sure if it's the area or timing or a combination of both. I usually have good luck with the service directory in the newspaper. I have a larger ad coming out in the yellow pages. Next spring I am going to play with screen printed signs....hoping this will do well.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

There are no gimiks. Your hard work and quality results will sell the most jobs for you. However, to get the phone to ring with prospective clients think of a campaign. 2-3 pieces of direct mail 2 weeks apart starting about 8 weeks prior to the start of the season, followed by a calling campaign. When you go to do the estimates also give one to the neighbors. You can also canvas entire neighborhoods with quick estimates, yes its a gamble sometimes but for the most part if you have seen enough lawns you can accurately estimate the footage to base a price on. When talking with a prospective client make sure you know your product and what their problems are. Sell off of knowledge not special pricing.
  7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

When you go out with flyers that have the "quick" estimate, be sure to make a small note that the price can change. Give's you a kinda loop hole to come back and get accurate measurements, look at back yard, and see possible problems.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed, We do that with all new mowing accounts. 30 days at the quoted price then the price will be adjusted accordingly. For Chemical accounts, I have been treating lawns for about 14 years and can pretty well nail the footage on site. When I send out crews I set the prices for the neighborhood and they go off that. Only 1 in a hundred needs to be adjusted.
  9. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

a buddy of mine also in kansas city hired a few kids to pass out 5000 flyers and he picked up 75 residentials
  10. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Flyer inserts into a local paper. I can hit 16,000 homes and business in my local zip code for $1,100. That's all printing on color paper and distributed. It's a 1 time send out but if you do it every few weeks.....

Besides, I'd like to land just 1% of that number. Enough to add another crew.

Monies, monies, mo monies.