1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Marketing in August? Should I?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by newbomb, Aug 9, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

After careful consideration and looking at the plain numbers, I have decided that town house communities are hands down the most profitable work I have. (I do strickly residential work. It's just wprked out that way). I have decided to target market them exclusively. There are thousands of townhomes in my area and many mowers here don't want them. I am wondering if it would be worth marketing to them at this point in the summer. I could easily market to homes that have sold, that is new owners. I just wonder if a mass marketing to select communities would be a waste of time at this point in the season? Your advice would be apprecieated.
  2. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

i think it'd work.

if so, think aboout using these flyers..

3. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

Well the weather in Ct has been very dry. If it were me I propably would hold off until we have some rain and the grass starts to green some. People are just not thinking about the lawns this time of year. goodluck
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've done it, the response is poor and not because of the flyer (I didn't look at yours because it wouldn't load on my pc, but just my own experience).

For all it matters, I think advertising for core aeration in september is a far better bet.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi newbomb,

I would target who has the purchasing power. Is it the homeowner or the home owner association?

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>
  6. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

You can never advertise too much. I always just slide my business card in doors year round. I have my info on the front and a list of basic services on the back. Some people have kept my business cards for over a year before calling me. It is very important to get your name out there as often as possible. Maybe you won't get any calls after you flier, but if you go to those same neighborhoods in the spring and re-flyer they might jog the customers memory and they will at least know you are stable enough that you are back again the next year. That is how you build brand recognition.
  7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I've got about 2000 postcards going out this week. However, our season is longer than up there. I do tend to agree with the above that keeping your name fresh in the minds of people is worthwile. You just need to find a way of doing it profitably.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't waste time targeting, I advertise to all of them even those who have no yard, no kidding. But no, not with flyers, that's too much like work I don't like doing.