1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Marketing Irrigation Service

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I would like to get an idea how you guys market the service end of the business (Start ups, blowouts, repair). Door hangers, referral discounts, ads ???? What works for you. Right now, we primarily service our installs, but there is so much service work in our area & I would like to grab some of it.

Thanks in advance,
  2. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

ROB, I have found that placing an ad in the smaller community papers works well. Plus the costs are low.
    Church bulletins work well also.
  3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

you need to create the market place...show the 'people' they need your services.

how do we accomplish this?

you must answer this question: why should anyone choose you over your competition?

are you licensed through the ia? are you a cic or cid? do you offer awesome customer service? are you a factory trained technician in the specific brand of irrigation componets i , the consumer, have in my lawn?

why should i 'choose' you?

you have to create a 'niche' for your company...fill a need.

does your competition push hunter? then you could push rainbird...say it is 'better'. speak of the benefits of a 'rainbird' system...

you just created a 'difference' between you and your competition.

other things that might help seperate you from the competition:

catchy logo

uniformed technicians

office personell answering phone

attending industry trade shows and education seminars

just make your self different...it will get you 'noticed'.

network with local landscape contractors...that is where you will find a 'pot o gold'.

seriously, this is really marketing 101.

the easiest way is to look at sucessful companies in your area (you know who they are) and see what they are doing. sam walton, the late owner of walmart, always walked through k-marts stores to see what they were doing better than him.

see what your competition is doing right and what you are doing wrong.

if you need more help, drop me a line, always willing to help out.

now, here is a pic of my truck and trailer that seperates me from the competition. none of my competiion letters their truck or trailer neatly. i did mine up like crazy...i want it to be noticed...i want everyone to know who is installing that awesome irrigation system

gw truck 2.jpg
  4. Thats the way to nail it Brian - well said!

5. kennyb

kennyb LawnSite Member

good job brian, great looking rig also
  6. pokemon

pokemon LawnSite Member

You nailed!. Good job :) I admire your work . Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

7. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the things I did when I started up is that when I would see a mow & blow company I would stop and say hey my name is and here is what I do. If you know of anyone that needs my services please give em my phone number. I would stop by and talk to em for time to time to see how things were going with them (bsing). I done that for about a 1.5 yrs. It finally paid off. It was kinda hard for me to do it cause 95% of my work is service only. Then I picked up lighting I work it the same way. But I live in a small town.
  8. greenworldh20

sleepyhead touched on a great point. he lives in a small town...so he specializes in 'service' only. (is that correct, sleepyhead?)

you have to change in order to survive...in a small town, you cannot 'push' a service that will not work.

you have to play to your 'strengths'.

one of them is 'change'. you have to keep your product fresh and innovative. you have to create consumer awareness for your product.

think 'outside' of the box. keep pushing your company forward...drive your company like you are an 'outsider' looking in.

great business people think like this...jack welch, former ceo of ge, sam walton, former owner of walmat, the owner of victoria's secret (can't remember the name of that dude)...all these people pushed their company past all others because they had a vision...one that no one else had because they did not view their business like others do....they tried new things...

yeah, i am ranting on, but keep trying to be the best you can...don't be negative...if you try some thing and it doesn't work out...so what? try something else...you never know how far you can go until you try, right?

john allin, owner of smg, the largest snow management provider in america, told me he doesn't worry about the people who say he cannot take snow removal national; he worries about the ones that think they can.

9. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point as well green. I live in between 2 large towns about 30 minutes I could be on the edge of each town.

So here is my question? When you want to go into another town what seems to work the best for you guys if you do just service only? Do you use flyiers, yellow pages, send a letter to some of the landscape companies? I'm just doing some thinking about trying that.
  10. greenworldh20

another good question. here is what i do: i try everything. flyers, yellow page ads, networking with local landscape contractors.

the key point is to 'measure' the success of each type of 'marketing'. you do this by asking the client 'how did you hear of our company?'

make notes in a data base program...then you will have your 'answer'. when you see what works for you in a particular area, then you know where you can allocate your advertising and marketing dollars appropately.

you must be able to 'measure' everything...how else are you going to know what you are doing from year to year...what works and what doesn't?

example...3 years ago i was paying $960/month for a yellow page ad in a local phone book. i thought that since other successful companies had this size ad, i needed it too. that bill came out ot $11,520(give or take a few pennies). now, was i getting that much out of the ad? i had no clue because i did not track sales leads. since i did not track sales leads, i had no idea what my close ratio was.

the next year, i did track everything and i was able to measure our progress. yellow pages advertising was bringing in a lot of peeps that were shopping for price...not the type of client i want. plus, i was loosing money. i down sized the ad the next year, and i will down size it again this season.

tracking my leads showed us where our install work was coming from: over 50% of my work is referral...which is what we all should strive for..becoming a referral based business.

market your company right and do what you say you will do and you will be happy.

here is a project we did that was a referral...awesome landscape and very nice net profit on this job, too.

temple in monsey.jpg