marketing mulch

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Boycea, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if any of you really try to push mulch sales and instillation in the spring time. I was thinking of using something like this and they print them on the back.

Do any of you market toward mulch sales, if so could you show me your fliers etc. I need to come up with something to get the customers attention and make a sale for the back. All feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

In my area there is no profit in mulching. It isn't common to see it installed for $30 a yard, installed...
  3. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I always try to push the mulch. We usually start 6/1 with the mulch. Seems that's when most people start to have the BBQ's. The 4th of July is thedate when most want it dine by. Good money in it here.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Good money in it here in Wisconsin. I really prefer to use shreadded cedar that I get for around 20 a yard. The cedar lasts longer, smells good and looks nice. I will use whatever the customer wants but there are some cheap products available that I highly discourage. I only do recap jobs as I don't have time to be cutting beds and laying edging. There is plenty of recap work if you go after it.

I can get 60.00 a yard delivered and installed. The stuff is extremely light when dry and all you need is a wheelbarrow, gloves and a scoop shovel. My trailer will hold 6-8 yards so its good for most recaps I do.

As a side note, the state buildings in Wisconsin will be removing any wood mulch around them because of concerns about mold. I guess there is some merit in that because I have seen some huge mold spores growing in hardwood beds. I do not know what they are going to replace it with but I assume it to be rock.
  5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

What type of advertising do you find the most effective for mulch. Do you solicit new customers just for mulch or do you stick mainly just to your normal accounts.

I see an underutilized market for mulch delivery around here, but I wonder how to best advertise for it?

I think the growpro materials look nuice --- but they are awful expensive.

6. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I mainly stick to my regular accounts. From doing them you usually tend to get the next door neighbor or friend of the family.
    Of course I will also take on just mulch jobs to. I don't necessarily advertise for it, my adds just say complete landscape management. I don't have that "list" of services that we offer.
  7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

In all my contracts i have to refresh mulch one time a year.
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

What you got there is good if thats going to be your main proffesion. Use flyers but do it in FULL color to show customer the quility. We get dark mulch at $12.99 per yard approx 120 yards and light blend at $11.99 and 80 yards. We resell it to other landscapers at $19.00 and $21.00 and sell it to wholesale at $28.00 and $29.00 per yard and also instalation which will cost $60 per yard installed! There is a heavy market for it so if I was you I would jump on it, also if its your primary service purchase a Finn bark blower, you can spead 80 yard in 9hrs with 2 people! Big $$$$$$ labor savings!