Marketing Plan!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Jan 25, 2008.

1. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

You know how things just seem to fall into place sometimes. Well, i graduated from a university about 8 years ago and have one of my old professors as a maintenance customer. She is one of two lol.

Anyway, there is a Graduate MBA Marketing class that for thier graduating class projects are going to work with a local company to develope a target market, strategy and plan for that company.

They invited me to participate and be one of these companies. I thought that this was cool since you would typically pay pretty good money to have a marketing firm research and develop all this for you and they are doing it for me for free. All I have to do is meet with them a couple times a month between now and May when they will present the marketing plans to the class and all the companies. I can't wait.

This will take some preasure off of me to develope ways to market and advertise my company this coming season.

Have any of you every worked with a company to do this and did you find it beneficial?

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to see what they come up with.

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

i guess no one thinks this is a viable topic for you business owners. 118 views and only one response.

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

btw enheandia, nice website.

5. echeandia

Thanks. :clapping:

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

The funny thing is you look through the business mgmt forum and see about 10 recent threads from people asking what type of advertising they should do or if they should do flyers or door hangers. This tells me that they have not done any amount of market research. You would think that this thread would be something they would want to check into. Of course, if i had not gone to college and gotten a degree in business marketing i might not understand what things are important to growing and developing a business.

Echeandia, I am either guessing you have some college education or have been in business a while to have a good looking website, professional name and recongnize some basic business fuctions.

7. echeandia

The thing is most of the people on here asking those questions don't anticipate taking a one man show into a million dollar operation. Many of them view lawn care as a way of making a few dollars and are looking for the easiest way in. And it is easy, because of the low cost of entry and limited knowledge necessary to run a simple operation. But when they try to take it to the next level they fail (and there are many posts discussing this) and go back to one man shows.

Yes, I am college educated and have worked as a software engineer and manager of software development for over 15 years. When I was laid off in 2005 I could not find a new job that paid what I believed I am worth. So I decided to venture off on my own in a new field. I am currently pursuing a graduate degree in Sustainable Landscape Design at George Washington University and am slowly changing the focus of my company from maintenance to design and build.

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

That is great. It is nice to see someone in a similar situation as myself. I started in outside sales and got frustrated with making money for other people and found myself a job that would be 8-5 every day leaving me time to do my business after hours. I started like many doing lawn care but got discouraged with the low return so I started learning more and more about hardscaping. Now that is the majority of my business. Best of luck to you and maybe some of these green hornes will pick up on how this thing works. I am not going to ring the dinner bell too loud until i get the results back later. Of course, i am sure they will come running then wanting to see what my target market was and what all they had to say so that they can run out and do it for themselves not thinking that the information will differ by region and perfession.

9. SDNCLAWNCARE

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I love this topic. Dream Big. This will be my 3rd year in the business and man have I made some dumb mistakes. But I have learned so much. I cannot wait to start this year to improve my business. I work for DuPont also 10 years in DOT/Clerical/Shipping dept. Have a BS in Business Administration it does help. I'm hoping that in 5-7 years I can go full-time.

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Hopefully the students your working with will provide you with a good plan suited for this industry. From personal experience, the green industry is a totally different ball game to deal with when it comes to marketing. Methods that are sure bets in other industries flop in this industry and something that would normally not generate any leads works great.

Let us know how it goes, I love marketing and market research.