Marketing Scenario

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by worx, Jun 15, 2010.

1. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

I will start marketing to a new area soon, but I'm not sure exactly how to approach it. I plan on setting up some demo's, and hopefully getting involved with a community project to create a buzz. What I have a question about is appealing to the mass of my target market. I would say around 80% of the homes 800k and above are summer homes around this lake area. Since they are second homes I am not sure how many actually use their lake home mailing address. I wanted to send several rounds of postcards to get the word out but how do I get the addresses to the actual lake properties?

Most of the home owners are from other areas and it would be impossible to search out each individual owner. Where would I go to find a listing for these addresses?

Thanks for the help,

2. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes the town will have a website and you can see property owners that way, look under assessors information if it is there. Just a guess

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Many "summer folks" have thier property tax bill mailed to another address. That is a public record, although getting all of them as a datafile free will be tough. You could look them up and write it by hand, but I would go the paying route- A direct mail company can usually find those for a fee and you get them in a data format to use for direct mailing postcards.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it is a mistake to mail it to the primary residence as it will no doubt cause some confusion. Are you going to say I want to light your second home in florida ? I would target the people later fall and early winter when they start flocking to the warmer weather and are excited about being out of the cold north and thinking about the outdoors.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Marketing directly to the primary address is exactly the way you want to go. Getting that info will be your challenge here. Most people who own recreational properties are passionate about their "summer home" communities. You will have not problem getting their attention and avoiding any confusion about where you are operating.

Also look to the magazines and newspapers that serve the seasonal residents in your new business area. These are often read with zeal by the seasonal home owners.

6. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

I figured getting these addresses would be alittle more difficult ( but definitely rewarding ). I may have to do the primary residence since some of the homes may not even have mail boxes set up....?

I do believe there is a magazine aimed at the local area, I will certainly look into it.

Any other ideas on how to reach part-timers....?

7. sprinklerchris

sprinklerchris LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Try a mailing list brokerage firm. They can get you the list for the zip code, then pick them out from there.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

many of these people also have the mail forwarded

9. TheGoat

TheGoat LawnSite Senior Member

All property tax info is public record. You should be able to go to the county tax assessors web page and find the owner of record with only an address, and as stated earlier in this thread, that tax bill is always sent to the primary residence and that address will be in the info you can look up online

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Guys... who has time to go into the tax office and pull up the owner of record for each any every parcel of land in a municipality? That is just not going to work for a direct mail campaign. Nor is relying upon mailing list companies. These companies focus on lists of primary residences not second, third etc homes.

Getting the primary addresses of a community of summer homes is not easy. You generally have to join organizations that will share their data amongst their membership. Even then the data is spotty and incomplete.

I have some experience in this as I have been operating in a seasonal market for 12 years now. It is a real challenge.