Marketing suggestions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jake65, Nov 8, 2005.

1. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

Ok,

So I just aquired my DBA and ready to have my business cards printed. I have to start with a business plan and incorporate a marketing plan for startup next spring and a idea for my ongoing marketing campaign through out the season. I am sure different marketing schemes work different in other areas of the country or even different communities within a LCO's county. I purchased Sean's manual from Lawnsite.com. Full of great info. He offers different types of marketing tools and different docs for different occasions. I was just wondering what worked for others. What was successful and what was not. I know there is probably other threads to search, but I wanted a fresh perspective.

Thanks
    Jake

2. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my business has resulted from my yellow pages listing.

3. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

I have heard some LCO's talking about the success of posting door hangers in neighborhoods. Our company uses this tactic as well. There is never one silver bullet that will bring in all of your business. There is research that resulted in something called "The Rule of 27". Essentially, advertising tactics are a plannend program of 27 regular advertising/marketing hits in a certain week cycle to the same existing and new prospective customers. The research concluded that the prospect will begin to recognize your brand/service at approximately the 27th hit or marketing tactic.
    Therefore, it is very important to mix your marketing tactics. It may not be the flyer, door hanger, or busineess card that brings the customer to you. It is generally a combination of all of these tactics.
    Hope this helps.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

seems word of mouth has been wonderfull for me..

I passed out 500 flyers in a "well to do" neaborhood where I had 1 customer.
    This was right after the season started and I didn't get a single call..

5. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

rbriggs, are you saying it would take someone hearing of me 27 times before they recognize my name?

6. allprogreens

allprogreens LawnSite Senior Member

7. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

Any other suggestions?

8. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

direct mail post cards lots of them and lots get a mailing list in the neighborhood u are targeting and direct mail the **** outta it!

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi jake65,

What we have found is when you initially get started flyers and door hangers are the way to go. Then later get a yellow pages ad.

Do a search here for a post on marketing flops. There are a lot of things listed there that didn't work.
    <table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>

10. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

One of the reasons my yellow pages listing has been so successful is because of my company name being at the beginning of the alphabet which searchers come to first when looking up a lawn service company. Many callers have pointed that fact out to me. My listing started in last years edition and was very basic but it worked. So even though it has been good for me it may not necessarily work for you depending on your company name and how big the listing is.