Marketing that worked for me

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Travisty, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Travisty

Travisty LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Thought I would share this. While it won't help the guys that are already established, it might help a few. I was going to buy leads and paul told me to go down to the county Tax appraisal office and get a list of homes values at 400K or more. While this didn't work they sold me a CD for $30 bucks with all the info on it. I had to have microsoft Access to run it, but after I figured out the filters and how to work the program I have access to abotu 10,000 homes off the list for 400K and above. I also if I wanted have access to all the commercial buildings. Plus just it already has a label wizard to print out labels... nice and easy. I am sending out 800 tommorow.
    Now while this won't help some of you it might help the ones just starting out like me because I priced these same leads from a lead company and I just saved myself about $1100. Not bad for a days' work.

Beats the hell out of handing out flyers :rolleyes:

Travis Schiffner
    ShadowScapes

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I'm glad that little tip helped you out Travis. I'll see you on Monday! Have a great Easter weekend!!!

3. Travisty

Travisty LawnSite Member

You too Brother...
    thanks again

Travis Schiffner
    ShadowScapes

4. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

Just wondering if you got any business off of these mailers? I know you saved money on the leads, but you said it "worked" for you.

5. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Soliciting cold cold work = useless endeavor in futility
    prospects contacting you first = priceless

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to see the outcome too. It has gone one of three possible ways. 1. Waste of money on the 800 homes and his high hopes are crushed. 2. Money maker and wants to keep the cat in the bag. 3. Broke even and lost interest.

7. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

#1 guaranteed. been there done that.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Its a shame your advertising wasn't captivating enough to win you any business. I've used the same technique for a neighborhood that I wanted to target and it worked great. Percentage of response was small, yes, (5 or so calls on 80 mailers) but my cost was low and it landed me 50k worth of work. Was very well worth the effort. And those people referred my services to their friends and it snowballs from there. So it is not "Guaranteed" not to work if you are decent at marketing. Hope it worked for him and others should give it a whirl.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Wasnt great ? 5 calls out of 80 is incredibly good! Im praying for 1 out of 100! What was your secret ?

10. opher

opher LawnSite Member

will it print out names and adresses of the people in those houses?