Marketing to a new neighborhood

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ahill713, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ahill713

ahill713 LawnSite Member

Hi guys, just a quick question. I am a first year college student and moved about 30 minutes away from my old house to my college but kept my best 5 lawns at home. Next season i want to move my business to my college area and found a new neighborhood coming in right across the street from my town home. This new neighborhood alone would be all i need for my business. Question is what is the best way to start marketing to them. i have made a holiday flyer to start now but i want to know if it would be best for me to knock on the doors or just putting out a different flyer each week? thanks guys. Oh yah printing for me is free at my university so that isnt an issue at all. Thanks again!

2. ahill713

ahill713 LawnSite Member

here is my holiday flyer, i got it from that gopher site and made a couple of changes. i need a to add something in the bottom right corner. Any suggestions? thanks agian.

Attached Files:

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that neighborhood already has an established LCO, with happy customers.... kind of keeping your options narrow isnt it???

4. ahill713

ahill713 LawnSite Member

This isnt the only community i am marketing to. I was just thinking this is a good opportunity and i dont want to approach it the wrong way. Am just asking for suggestions from the pros on how they would market to a whole community.

5. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Flood the area you intend to service with flyers. Line the streets or poles with chloroplast signs that lead to the intended community and finally put an add in the news paper. That is what I would do, as a matter of fact that IS what I do.

6. brit721

brit721 LawnSite Member

You could put your slogan there if you have one or put an address or more contact information.

7. ahill713

ahill713 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information guys. Really apreciate it.

8. Taiter85

Taiter85 LawnSite Member

Have you thought about having the business section do a special story on you and your business? <- free advertising

Also door hangers see like they would be effective and convenient. I joined the local chamer of commerce in my college town and think it is a great way to network and meet many professionals that might not have time to cut their own grass and have the money to pay someone else for it.

9. jo_watanabe

jo_watanabe LawnSite Member

Why don't you write a small press release for the local paper? It's free and if they pick up the story you'll get a few inquiries. Even better, if you started a weekly column on gardening for them you would never be short of new inquiries.

10. ahill713

ahill713 LawnSite Member

i really like those last two ideas. How do i get the business section to write a story about me? and how do i do the press release? Thanks, im really excited.