marketing to commercial accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brit721, Nov 2, 2005.

1. brit721

brit721 LawnSite Member

I have just began my business, I am located in Georgia and was planning to use the "off season" to market my business and develop the start up. I am formally educated and have some ideas of how to market my business, but I wanted and preferred some insight from experienced professionals. How do I initate contact with commercial accounts? Generally it seems the "man" who makes the decisions is not physically located in the facilities that I wish to service, so how do I reach him and or promote my business. Secondly, once reached what forms of marketing should I use. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to do the same thing. I joined the chamber of commerce in my area, and am the only lawn maintenace company in it. I have not done anything with it yet, but there is a business expo tomorrow which i am attending just to start networking with the other area businesses. I also started an affiliation with TruGreen, which we are going to be kinda just giving each other business and advertising for each other.

3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

brit721-

Are you located anywhere Atlanta? If so, look at joining MALTA. Metro Atlanta Lawn and Turf Association. I was a member with my old company there for several years. You get to rub elbows with everyone in the market, big and small, and it is very informative.
    While I lived in Hotlanta, I was also a member of an organization called BOMA (Building Owners and Management Assoc.). It is not only a local organization, but a international org. It is everyone that you want and need to contact. Those who make the decisions are part of this or IFMA. Though these cost to join, they are definately worth the money.

Otherwise, just do what I did when it was a crappy rainy day and I wanted to get out of the office..... take a pad of paper or voice recorder, and drive around town or to the areas that you want to concentrate your services. Jot down all the information off of the property signs posted and give them a call. It is a lot of leg work, but it will allow you to compile a list for future contacts.

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why not go work for them for a year, you would be able to find out exactly how they get the leads for commericial.

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

thats just dirty . most people that do that end up trying to take clients from the guy they just worked for .

7. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Brit. I'm just down the road from you. When it comes to commercial it all boils down to who you know. I would definately go to Bremen also. You will have better luck there than in Tallapoosa. I maintain a home for someone who owns a business in Tallapoosa. It's to far for me to go to Tallapoosa and I think they are somewhat happy with who is doing their maintenance at the business. I think you need to do flyers in the spring. I had great results this spring. I've had calls this fall also from people who kept the flyers. Put out 500 bales of pinestraw today from a lady who got a flyer this spring.

8. brit721

brit721 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice!

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Figure out properties that you'd like to maintain.

Go to the property and track down the owner / property manager / store manager / whoever is in charge.

Don't take no for an answer, find out who it is. Tell the person that you're talking to, even when they tell you "Oh, we already have that taken care of" that you're sure they do, or their grass would be 17" high, but you'd still like to place a bid.

When that person still says they're not interested, come back a couple of days later, and see if it's the same person.

If it is, ask again. If not, ask again.

If you don't suceed by however many times it equals however badly you want to put a bid on the property, then stop asking.

It helps alot if you're in a newer area of town where they're still building.

You can go to new construction places, as soon as they start putting the building up, usually they'll have a sign that says "now hiring" and they'll have a phone number or a different store location that you can go to, to be hired.

Call or visit the other location, whereever they're doing the hiring and find out a contact person. If the other location isn't too far away and you'd like to do that one as well, then talk to the person there and express your interest to do the two locations or multiple ones if they've got other locations in your service area. Express to them that you may be able to give them a discount if you're able to have "x" number of locations.

If there's a phone number for a management company, call that, get a hold of the person in charge for the maintenance issues.