1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Marketing to Real Estate agents

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riverdog, Jan 27, 2002.

1. riverdog

riverdog LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried going to local Realtors for work to maintain/improve property that is for sale? For example mowing, landscape appearance improvement, driveway sealing, etc?
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its marginally effective but usually short lived work. I've done work for a handful of realtors and got my name thrown around to others because I guess I did good work. There are some properties that are great to work on and make look better then there are some that are nightmares.
    I have done spring cleans for houses that were very neglected and have cut lawns that needed to be cut last week so if you do it make sure you bid appropriately high. They do pay and they pay top dollar.

The problem is that it isn't steady work.
  3. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Go for a Real Estate Developer. I work with one that leases office parks and he is good to work for because HE OWNS the property and not trying to sell it but keeps it spotless to keep his tennants from breaking the leases.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have for only a couple in the past. Never again. They are CHEAP!
  5. Ghee I like sending invoices to South America.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, and collecting after they move is impossible.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Dont do it. They will not pay, or pay late. But you can make an appointment to look at houses they have for sale and never show if they dont pay. Waste enough of there time and they will pay you. It worked for me.
  8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I got lucky because the developer I work for lives in the area I mow and pays on the first of the month religiously. I know he is not a real estate agent maybe I'm in a good situation.
  9. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP! ,actually it's the person whose home is for sale that should be paying ,but it ends up being an unwanted expense for a reality co.:mad:
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Avoid at all cost. Use the search on this, I have been shafted several times by them, I have one out of who know how many that pays on time and is reliable. I have several past due and marked off debts owed by real estate agents....