Marketing value of new truck

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hosejockey2002, Sep 16, 2004.

1. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for some thoughts on the marketing value of getting a new truck. I am considering replacing an old Chevy pickup that is not much to look at with a new Silverado 3500 dump truck. Let's throw out all the tangible advantages and disadvantages like reliability, convenience, hauling capacity and the like. What I'm interested in is the sheer marketing value of having a nice new professionally lettered truck versus an old one that is not bad, but just an old truck.

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

what do you mean by old? is it beat up? or just old but in great shape? I use an '84 Dump, which i keep looking top notch, and i get customers complementing always. You can take an older truck (as long as it's in good running shape) and make it look great for far less money and overhead then buying a brand new truck. to certain customers i guess a new truck would look like you have been successful, others will look at it like "they will be paying for your new truck". ;) What you truck you running? i'll post a pic of my '84 dodge, even though i know there are several on here its easier then trying to find the post.
    amazing what paint, some diamond plate, and some stainless steel whhel inserts will do. i had my lettering made up for $200, then put in on myself. not cheap, just love doing that type of stuff myself........ and keeping overhead down is one of my main strategies in making money.

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i'm going to sell the plow, and put on a brand new bumper so we'll look even better in the spring! :cool:

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Adam, that's an awesome looking truck! I agree with you on buying something a little older and fixing it up. Jim Lewis has a thread on an old Chevy he bought and turned it into a great looking rig. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it here.

Buck

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Adam, thanks for the feedback. That's a great looking truck. My truck is also an '84, a Chevy 3/4 ton. It doesn't look terrible, but to get it looking and running great would probably cost $2k-$3K or so. The motor is a little tired and it would need a little body work and rust repair before a paint job. If it were a dump like yours I would be a lot more likely to put the money and time into it, so I am leaning slightly toward the new one.

6. Up North

from MN

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

That truck looks real good, but its still a chevy no matter how you look at it.

8. Up North

from MN

That's the reason it's still on the road after all these years... :D

Buck

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

How many chevys do you see on the road...and how many fords??????? :cool2:

10. Up North

from MN

nepatsfan,
    Around here, Chevy hands down. I'd say Ford & Dodge are about even, but we definitely see more Chevy's here. Even when I lived in the twin cities there seemed to be more bowties.

Buck