Marketing, what are you doing?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by McKeeLand, Oct 6, 2007.

1. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought i would take DVS's thought and start a marketing/ sales thread and see what everyone is doing and what is working for them. I am in the process of doing some direct mailing right now trying to fill are calendar until winter.

We have had a major slow down in our area and its time to get aggressive with our marketing. We have a lot of competition here and now the work is less means everyone is fighting for the same jobs.

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Same circumstances here. For some reason its 80 degrees here all of the sudden, and Ive used up my marketing budget for the year. Direct mailing has done nothing for me, so I'm relying on asking existing customers for referrals via letter and 20 business cards. Seems to be working so far. try the same.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Network, network, network. Find people who deal with the same type of clientle as you and become freinds with them.

Direct mail has been successful for me. Its all how you do it though.

Advertise when you are swamped with work.

4. McKeeLand

that was my mistake this year, i was so busy in the summer had so many employee problems, the last thing i was thinking was advertising. I defiantly learned my lesson this year though.

I like the sending letters to current customers for referrals, i may try that. How do you tactfully put that to them without coming off like...... got any work for us???:hammerhead:

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

This sometimes happens to the best of us. Last year i was so busy i forgot about advertising. Once tday rolled around i was out of work. Than with the horrible weather early spring, i had trouble finding jobs when people were not thinking spring.

6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I basically just say we are "expanding" and list the services we provide. Some people don't even know of our experience in hardscape. I know some people offer incentives for referrals but I just politely ask them to spread the word to those in need of our services.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

For MANY years I relied on a fancy, 4 color, dollar bill size yellow page ad. It DID get us good results and it was worth the $6,000 / year.

Then, all of a sudden, we got flooded with competition. Along with the rise in interest rates, rise in gas prices, rise in grocery prices, etc.

Our sales dropped out from under us. Due to all the above.

I have a web page. A nice web page. (Most here have seen it). But the web site was only floating up in cyber space. Web searchers were not finding it. They were not finding it because it did not have any 'Search Engine Optimazation'. So, this past winter, I sat down and optimized the site for search engines.

This year, we have had an abundent amount of good jobs.

And 85% of our sold jobs are derived from our web page.

8. McKeeLand

I finally launched my site this year on my own and then just recently had someone redesign it. he was supposed to optimize the site for search engines, but i am not sure how well it was done. I don't think that i have had a lot of leads so far from it. DVS what are some tips that you can give without giving away to much.

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

McKeeland -

I just took a quick gander at your home page, and I didn't goo any further than the home page.

Your site IS NOT optimized at all.

Meaning, no one will find you.

You need to find ways to list all the towns, cities, counties, and area that you serve.

For example: If you're in Bedrock FL, you need your site optimized so that if someone types in: "Paver patios Bedrock FL", you come up on top of the results. In other words you need to be area specific.

I noticed, you site has the word "hardscape". Well.....the average consumer does NOT know the word "hardscape" :) So, we need to list your services in the language that homeowners think. As they will base their searches on their own lingo.

10. McKeeLand

DVS-

Thanks for taking a look. I was told that he put that type of info in the meta tags, similar to your areas that you work with the zips and towns listed at the bottom of your page. i wanted to have what you have listed at the bottom of the page, i don't know why he did it that way.