Marketing Your Services

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by B. Phagan, Jan 11, 2003.

1. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

Looks like everyone's gearing up for the new season trying to revamp business cards, flyers, etc.

Used to do the same thing this time of marketing strategies, etc and trying to pick up new maintenance accounts.........found out there's typically a 60 sales cycle and managed to get them coming into spring and summer.......ironically when all my expenses were the highest.

Depending on where you are located, this may not be the ideal time for new maintenance accounts.......we typically are either non-profitable or marginally profitable during peak mowing times so you may want to evaluate what services you'd be hawking in spring.

Certainly go for landscaping and in and out type work but keep an eye on maintenance income vs expenses....look at seasonal estimating.......hopefully too you have a strong written agreement to keep those accounts year round so they can't work you during the growing season and fire you when things go dormant.

This scenario repeats itself time after time.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

.........found out there's typically a 60 sales cycle and managed to get them coming into spring and summer

Bill, what do you mean by this statement? Sorry, but I am confused. Help me out?
  3. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

Hi Rod,

What I was referring to is the time it normally takes to get a new commercial maintenance property........they go from suspects and prospects to your customers.

Once you contact them, it normally takes 30 days to make a decision and 30 more days to get rid of their existing contractor assuming they don't have a solid agreement.

As we know, resi's usally make a decision when we talk with them.

Commercial is unique in this way.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks I get it.
  5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if avoiding maintenance accounts is what I would do. Keeping your name out there and making yourself available for the best accounts at all times is how I see things. Maybe we aren't on the same page?
  6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I need good advise from a real landscaper (legit). We just lauched a database (SQL) website to allow for closer client interaction and allow our subs to generate estimates and billing via internet. This has set us back quite a bit after all the normal marketing. We only take quality contracts due to public awareness and we have a strong brand strategy. The problem is how to market these improvements in the most affective manner. Any good suggestions?