Markup on Mulch + Delivery VS. pickup at their site... bulk suppliers question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jlbf0786, Apr 20, 2013.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I have a question that I'm hoping some of you guys who buy your mulches, etc.. in bulk can answer.

-If you order 80+ yds of MULCH (no matter the kind) to your shop or bins do you get charged more per yard from that supplier versus picking it up from their site..

* Then get a surcharge for FUEL on top of that?
    Red Dyed Mulch 21.00 per yard (delivered) + $100 fuel surcharge

If you have ANY feedback on this please post..
    Thanks,

2. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had it delivered to the shop that we work out because it is out of a storage unit but I'm sure there would always be a fuel surcharge but I don't see why they would mark up the price of the mulch itself.

3. 3rdDayBrad

3rdDayBrad LawnSite Member
    from MI

Where I get my mulch, if you order a full load (120-140 yds depending on weight), there is no delivery charge. Price per yard is same as if you picked up at their yard.

Saves me time and money.... just load up in the morning and go. If you have the room, why not!?! payup

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Talk to your supplier. I know that I can get a 75 yard load of brown bark delivered on site for $900 with delivery. I can buy it 20 yards at the time and pick up as needed from the supply yard for $16/yard and buy it by the yard for $19 at the supplier. Retail for the same product is $26/ yard.