1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Marty Grunder In L&L

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Team Gopher, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Did anyone read Marty Grunder's article in Lawn and Landscape?

He had 6 suggestions.

1. Make sure the person answering your phone is cheerful and professional.

2. Get estimates back to potential customers right away.

3. Air sweep hard surfaces after applying fertilizer.

4. Send a thank you note to your customer after you complete a job.

5. Post a yard sign showing your company name in the front yards you are most proud of.

6. Always do a little more than you promised.

Are there any things that you would add to this list?
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Spend the extra time with clients that you know it means a lot to. I have some (many) elderly clients, as many of us do. I've seen/heard so often of people not wanting to stop and listen/talk to these people, and I can see why sometimes. But, in the long run, if you take the time to listen, you secure that client for life. (theirs at least). I have so many customers who tell me "You're such a nice boy". The personal touch is unmatched for loyalty. Spend the couple of minutes, be their friend once in a while, it will go a long way.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

What a great post by ElephantNest! This is one of those things that we all should do. Although I'm new to this business I try to "go the extra mile" with my full time job. Some times it pays off, and some times it doesn't. Still it is the decent thing to do. I have seen many post on this forum about how good it makes us feel when we get an atta boy from a customer. Same thing goes when we can give a little back. I think it makes perfect business sense, plus it makes us all look a little better in the public eye!
  4. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Sometimes you are the only person they have contact with for weeks at a time and it really means alot to a lonely person when you spend just a minute or two to say hi, and not just "Im done can i have my check now.

Especially during the holidays.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I need to work on 4 & 5....great suggestions overall