Maruyama Hand Helds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnbutch, Mar 19, 2008.

1. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

Has anybody tried or are using Maruyama brand of trimmers and other handhelds ?What are your pros and cons!!

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a bad trimmer. I forgot the model number I had but I got about three years out of it with heavy use, about 30 hours a week for 30 weeks/year. Normal issues throttle cable, rings, drive shaft. I would still go with redmax if you have a dealer close by. You can't beat a two year commercial warranty. I like going with remax since you can usually run them for two years then sell them for 80-100 bucks. Its not bad for me to use them hard for two years then get a few bucks for them.

3. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Maruyama has a 5 year commercial warranty.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't know that. Thanks for the update. If that covers everything, that is real nice.

5. grasscoach

grasscoach LawnSite Member

http://www.maruyama-us.com/uploadedFiles/Maruyama_US/Support/Service_Bulletins/TSB 1024.pdf

MARUYAMA
    Jan 15, 2008 TSB 1024
    Page 1 of 4
    Models Affected- All Maruyama 2-Cycle engine powered equipment
    Purpose- 5 year warranty protection
    Beginning January 2008, Maruyama US Inc will offer a five year warranty for all engine powered
    products. This warranty will protect commercial, industrial and residential users against manufacturing,
    material and workmanship defect for five years from the date of purchase.
    Rental use is covered under a one year warranty.
    In order to qualify each machine for the five year warranty, the user must also purchase enough
    Maruyama Premium 2-Cycle Oil to operate the machine throughout the engine optimization period.
    (First 80 hrs or 6 gallons pre-mix). After that point the user must continue to use Maruyama Premium
    2-Cycle Oil or equivalent ISO-L-EGD or JASO FC oil with a minimum 89 octane high quality gasoline.
    COMMERCIAL WARRANTY
    Warranty. Maruyama U.S., Inc. (“Maruyama”) warrants that the Maruyama commercial/ industrial products sold by it will
    be free from defects in material and manufacture for the following time periods, which run from the date of purchase by the
    original purchaser of the product:
    • Ignition modules: Lifetime of the Product
    • Inner drive shafts of trimmers and
    brush cutters.
    Lifetime of the Product
    • Components that have a scheduled
    replacement period under the
    maintenance instructions for the
    product:
    Up to first scheduled replacement, or the period
    below, whichever is shorter
    • All other components: 5 years for commercial or residential use by the
    original purchaser
    1 year if the product is rented to another user at any
    time during the warranty period
    The preceding warranties extend to the original purchaser only.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

cons-no dealers!

7. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I have got the new big hand held and I like it! I bought some trimmers but have not used them yet!

8. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I've never ever seen one not @ any dealer close to me that is and I'm talking 15 plus dealers

9. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Well this warrranty might get some dealers close to you! You might just inquire locally and see if you might spark some intrest!:waving:

10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I would make a wild guess that Maruyama is going to be a lot more accomodating to the customers than Stihl and even Shindaiwa. There is a post here talking about difficulty of getting the Stihl trimmer to be looked at by S Man here. I have wrote the Shindaiwa three times and no reply.

Maruyama is trying to get back into the market, offering 5 years commercial warrante..... Five years commercial!!!! You ever heard of that??!!

There is always a chance to take. But that is the way to get equipment at a good price and good warrante. More people buying, more dealer will take it on.

That is how I buy cars. I bought a Ford Mustang GT in 1983 when american car was consider lemon, I got it in very very good price. It became very popular. 1992 I bought the then new Volvo 940GLE. The first good looking style from the boxy ones. Listing price was $30,000 and I got it OUT THE DOOR for $25,800!!! Volvo became very popular. I paid the same price as a well equiped Toyota Camry!!! 2003 I bought Mercedes E320 where the reliability suppose to be bad, I got it $4000 below invoice, almost $9000 below MSRP.

Want to save hard earn money, have to take some chances!!!

BTW if you are thinking about Stihl, they have promotion all the time, I have seen FS100R for $249, FS110 for $269, BR550 for $299 and BR600 for $379.

The more reliable brands like Echo and Redmax seldom have promotion, I guess they are like Honda and Toyota!!!