1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Maruyama

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunner27, Jun 28, 2006.

1. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have heard they are the new Shindaiwa? Or the Cadilac of power equipment? I realize they are lacking on dealer support, but so was Shindi, at one point.?

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

If you look to a local Toro dealer you will find out that Toro Proline trimmers are Maruyama's in toro 'clothing'. The product line is good for users but not so good for dealers. They don't seem to have as frequent as problems as the Shinnies but are every bit as good. The key will be to find a good dealer so as to give real value to your purchase.

Al Eli

3. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Who told you that??

Obviously you found a Maruyama dealer. That;s amazing because there are very few of them around! Maruyama makes very decent products but it's no better than the other stuff from Japan.

The biggest problem they have is the lack of dealers and terrible parts/service support. Maruyama has been in this country for many, many years and has never caught on due to the above mentioned facts.

Do yourself a favor, stick with the major brands like Echo, RedMax etc. and you can't go wrong.

4. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Most of my equipment is Stihl or Echo. I like to stay with the same dealer but I am in the market for a new hedge trimmer. The Stihl homeowner model is $299.99. The Maruyama commercial grade is 289.99. That is what has me curious. Just wondered if anyone else has any experience with Maruyama?

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I have used that hedge trimmer and it worked well. I would prolly take it over that specific Stihl model.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have used their Hedge Trimmer (HT2300) for years now, still my main hedge machine, very very sharp blade that won't get dull like Stihl. Since using it from April 2004, have not done or changed anything! except basic carb cleaning (which I do on every of my 2cycle stuff). They are up there with Stihl and Redmax.

7. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

They are a major brand and have caught on very well in some areas. They recently moved to Denton, Texas in an effort to address the very problems you raised. I have seen an improvement recently in their responsivenes to the issues you and I are concerned about. Their products have also been marketed as the Husky multicutter tool platform, Toro Proline besides their own brand. They pretty much introduced the multi-tool concept well over 15 years ago. As I posted earlier, finding a good dealer is essential to making a good value of any brand. Check out the dealers in your area and find out your prospects.

Their hedgetrimmer is a good one. Shop around and use some discernment when at the dealer. Ask questions to inform yourself. Let the dealer know you are looking for quality and would like to hear what he has to say.
    Al Eli

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't buy nothing says marijuana, that's right before scag.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

actually a defunct company called green machine invented the multi-tool concept. i can also vouch for the cutting quality of the mauryama hedge trimmers -top notch. little wonder is the only thing i have seen that cuts better. i have 3 sizes of mauryama hedge trimmers . the multi tool cuts best but is very heavy. my fav is the extended atriculated ones i have . very lite and cuts better than my sthil set does

10. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Echo's HC-150 is awesome. They now have better (razor) blades and a heavier duty gear box. 20" blade $269.99 at your local dealer.