Marvel Mystery Oil. Anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Dec 5, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been around forever. It's an additive to gas or oil. A good product or a waste of money?:confused:

2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I am a firm believer in the stuff. When I put my things away for the year,after running stableized gas through it I remove the plugs and pour in an ounce or two and turn it over a couple of times to coat the rings and cylinder wall. It seems to work for me.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

If it is a Mystery then I dont want to use it in my equipment. A good name brand oil should be fine, dont believe all the hype around about all this crap.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

IMO its a waste of money. Most additives to gas and oil I am not a believer in. However once in a while I will use a small amount of sea foam in a tank of gas. Seems to smooth things out.

5. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

Mystery oil is snake oil to me. I will only use either Sta-bil or Seafoam.

6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

As Henry said, MMO has been around forever. My dad used to sell drums of it to the airlines for use in their DC-3's, which had a propensity for sticky valves.

With the high quality oils we have today, it's not needed as an additive. However, it certainly is NOT snake oil. It worked very well many years ago with the oils available at the time.

I still use it as a penetrating oil, and for applications where a light oil is needed.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I run a mix of it in my Cummins through the fuel & it runs a little quieter. After I did that I put some in on occassion in my mowers & they run a little smoother as well.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't even know they still made it. It worked good back in the old days.

9. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

That stuff is great, it's some mix of oil that has worked for A LOOOOONG time!
    It works as good now as it did then! I run some in the fuel tank, oil, and down the cyl. of any engine that I want to store.

10. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have used it for years in my impacts and air wratchets. Keeps them from gumming up. Snap-on sells the same stuff as air tool oil.